1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Bass problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brawdylucas, Jul 19, 2012.

1. brawdylucas

brawdylucas

Mar 14, 2012
    Alright so i just bought a new fender jazz modified bass and i was tuning it and once i got everything tuned to were the 5th fret matched the next string the E string ended up being an F while the rest of the strings were the same A D G and once i tune my E string to E it does not match at all Any help would be appreciated!

2. I'm confused. Did you start by tuning the E string and then tuning the rest?

3. brawdylucas

brawdylucas

Mar 14, 2012
    first off i started an tuned the e string and then tuned the rest of the strings accordingly and once i started to check to make sure it was intune the octaves did not match up at all and then i tuned the 5th fret of the e to match the a string and it ended up being an F

4. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I'm a little confused myself.
    Are you saying that when the E string is fretted at the 5th fret it's an A, but open it's an F?
    Are you using a tuner or just going by ear?
    Also, did you have the shop check the set up for you? That might be all that's needed.

5. May be that the intonation is off. Take it in and get a set up.

6. The part I bolded doesn't make sense to me. Use a tuner for now. Tune the open strings to E, A , D, G and then play the octaves of each string (12th fret), and make sure they are also in tune to E, A, D, G. If it's sharp at the octave, then screw the bridge saddle clockwise, so that the bridge saddle gets pulled in closer to the screw. if it's flat at the octave, then loosen the screw so it moves closer to the neck. After you adjust the bridge, re-tune the open string. Once all of the strings are in tune properly and so are the octaves, then they will match at the 5th frets.

7. I think the problem is a tuning error, but I'm not clear on what the error is.

8. brawdylucas

brawdylucas

Mar 14, 2012
    @bass32 Yes for your first point the fretted the E string on the 5th fret and that is A and once i played open A it did not match at all so once i got the 5th fret of the E to match the open A string the open note of the E string was an F and i will probably end up taking it in to get set up

9. Well you're problem, to me, seems like the A string is actually tuned to an A# (or maybe Ab, I'm a bit confused and tired now).

Tune the E string using a tuner, and fret the 5th fret. If the open A string does not match then tune the A string to match the 5th fret of the E string. The E string is now in tune so you don't need to adjust it anymore. It's the A string you have to tune next, and then the D, etc.

10. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Maybe your E string is bottoming out on the first fret? It would leave the fifth fret still an A but when you play it open it is actually playing the first fret (F)? It's just an idea but who knows!

11. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I think that's your best bet. Something they should have done when you purchased the bass, but usually don't unless you ask. At least the shops I have dealt with will. Maybe your dealer doesn't, but it's inexpensive service for the shop to perform and goes a long way towards customer satisfaction/relations.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

12. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    Maybe the previous owner had a broken string or something and just threw a string on. Check to make sure strings are right size/gauge. Second, maybe the tuner is not holding on the E string or the other strings were very loose and when you brought them up to tension is softens the E string then needing to be retuned. Go thru with a tuner a couple times and recheck. Don't worry about 5 fret tuning and such if using a tuner, just tune each string and then start over and fine adjust them all to be sure. If one is not staying in tune, I bet the tuner is not holding.

edit: wait, if it is going to F like you say thyen that is going sharp and wouldn't be a tuner not holding....hmmm. I think you are just not doing something right or it is the wrong string.

13. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    This.

14. Repeat after me:

"I am going to buy a tuner and if I can't figure out how to set this thing up by watching a million you-tube videos and reading 175 pages of explicit instructions available for free on the 'net, I'm going to get a set-up from a competent tech and hopefully he or she will let me watch and learn."

15. oh...this too:

"And, I'm definitely not going to mess with the truss rod until I know what I am doing."

16. THIS is most likely the problem.
    Intonation would have to be ridiculously off for the other scenarios.

When you play the E-string open and then first fret, do you get the same note?

17. brawdylucas

brawdylucas

Mar 14, 2012
    no the notes are differant

18. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Then your bass, kind sir, is mighty ****** up.

19. brawdylucas

brawdylucas

Mar 14, 2012
    and that is why it is going to the shop tomorrow morning

20. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Did you tune your bass eadg or gdae lol