New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rugbybassfan, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Rugbybassfan

Dec 25, 2005
    Hi, Christmas has gone and my birthdays come and ive been playing bass for a year and my birthdays coming up so I thought it was time to get a new bass. My current bass is a Squire precision which i got last year. Its not a bad instrument and my friend says its quality is better than most squires he has played and he thinks quality in lower end instruments is a loterry.
    ive never had a problem with it but want to expand my collection. im interested in getting a quality bass now i know i want to continue and have definitly a yearning for the bass. my brother plays guitar and alot o my friends play instruments of which 2 play bass and one has been playing ages and helps me along. what bass would you recomend to someone who does not class himself as a begginer because i have put in alot of effort and enjoyed every minuit of it.
    My perfect bass if I could have any is the rickenbacker 4003 but Im not sure as im still in school is in my budget although ive considered getting a part time job and putting every penny into a bass. Any info on a fender jazz would be helpful though.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Which Fender Jazz, that's a broad spectrum you've given us to work with.

Mexican (Standard) Jazzes are fine, but still a gamble with QC.
    American Jazzes are great, but then again so are Japanese ones.
    What kind of money are you looking to put into this bass? What kind of music do you play?
    What are your goals?
    What is your favorite color?
  3. M.D.S.

Nov 8, 2004
    And what is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? :p
  4. avenger86

Dec 23, 2004
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries! :cool: :)

Getting back on topic....I would seriously look around for used basses...especially jazz copies...In my opinon at least, most of them are better than Fender's, especially for the cost. With a good cost, depending on your style, the Fender Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller basses are great, but the higher priced US models are overpriced in my opinion....of course, the best way to find out is to start playing every type of bass you come across....start hitting up those music stores!
  5. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Honestly, I'd recommend saving up some money for a while. You can find used 4003s at decent prices. If you got a part time job, you could get one in a few months.

Otherwise, MIM fenders are nice; but like stated, quality control is still a gamble. If you can, go to a guitar store and test the water. Play everything you can and get a feel for what you like. If it happens to be a fender jazz, so be it.

The only other piece of advice I can think of is this: don't settle for a bass, get the one that you like the best (in your price range) or else wait a little while until you have a little more money.
  6. +1, to add to it, pick a bass that feels and sounds good to you. Otherwise, you'll totally be kicking yourself later if you end up with a Rick, but you liked the feel and sound of the Jazz more.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    African or European?
  8. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    A Fender Jazz is nothing like a Ric. You sure you don't want to save for what you really want?
    Nothing wrong w/ a Jazz, they are just 2 different animals.
  9. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    HAHA! To the Gorge of Eternal Peril for you!

My opinion would be to get a mexican Jazz bass. But go and play all of them and pick the one you like best.. if you're forced to get one over the net and can't play it first.. I'd get a USA or Japanese