1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bassist

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by letsgotothemaul, Mar 14, 2008.

1. letsgotothemaul

letsgotothemaul

Mar 14, 2008
    Well I have had the bass for a few years, but never really played it until now. Any tips for a new bassist?

2. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Get lessons.

3. rhix

rhix

May 14, 2007
    Learn how to double thump Portrait of Tracy. Than get lessons.

4. play a lot!!
    and then play it all over again...

get a band.

5. Joos

Joos

Apr 5, 2007
    i'd start off with simple but fun stuff, like money-pink floyd or feel good inc- gorillaz ...and then work your way up into more advanced stuff

of course go ahead n work on the stuff u wanna play, and watch some tutorial videos.. i found they can be quite helpful

or you could get lessons for proper technique and theory ;)

all it takes is some time
    have a good 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yamaha RBX 270J

6. CLOWNDEACAN

CLOWNDEACAN

Jan 13, 2007
    ...***?

But yeah. Lessons are a great way to start off and make sure you're doing things right, even if its just for the first few months. Once you've got that start, you can work on material (fun songs, find stuff appropriate for your level and learn to play it PROPERLY... not just following tabs and then moving on) and expanding on you musical knowledge from what your teacher will (hopefully) have taught you. Of course, if you just want to play songs asa hobby, then you don't necessarily have to do that, but I'd say it helps expand your understanding greatly

7. tyggis

tyggis

Mar 11, 2008
    Record your left hand with a video camera. Look how tensed it looks like and try to relax while playing big intervals. After practising for 2 months, record with the camera again and check if you have any progress. I am sure you will be surprised:) (and inspirated)

8. Fixed now :)