Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEW Boss BR-1600CD Digital Recording Studio

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Mar 1, 2004.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i had the 8 channel version for a bit.

only 2 inputs on that one.

the BR-1600CD Digital Recording Studio has EIGHT XLR's!!!!

i went through many workstations and found the Boss units to be the easiest to use. great COSM effects too!

i may have to use the Guitar Center 30 day policy to check this one out!!!

now if i can find the bit depth spec...

[​IMG]

f

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hi fred ~

That one caught my eye, too. Let us know how it works if you do the deed. I've been waiting for something with eight inputs without breaking the bank. Any idea on street?

3. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    yeah retail is a little steep, but the new features are well worth it.

like i said, i went through several DAWs and the Boss was the easiest, most fun and had the best guitar/bass effects models out there!!! (my opinion).

they addressed all my issues about the first unit with this release.

i remember plugging my strat into the guitar input, no pre, no pedals, and the guitar/amp models sounded PERFECT!!!

i can imagine this new unit sounds even better.

this is the only thing that would get me away from Sonar/Acid. plus it has USB and digital i/o!!!

looks like a visit to guitar center at lunch today!

f

4. WitsEnd

WitsEnd

Apr 9, 2004
    The Br1600CD is amazing...It has absolutely everything you could possibly want or need. The Cosm effects are intense. You can make your guitar or bass sound anyway you want with or without effects. Plus the built in drum machine sounds awesome, and it is fully programable. I can not say enough about this machine. Buy one!

5. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    it would be my choice after my recent decision to go with the EMU 1820M

f

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I got a Fostex VF-160. Same features but no modelling (cabs? we don't need no steenkin' cabs). A little cheaper too. Mine's been working fine for almost a year, recording rehearsals once a week (and the subsequent few weekly hours of mixdown).

7. kanthony

kanthony

Apr 25, 2004
    If you are a guitar / bass player looking to knock out tracks and ideas quickly this is a no brainer. It takes a little while to figure out where things are but it's all extremely well documented.

As with most recorders of this type I would recommend an external analog compressor/limiter on the input to as a limiter for bass to allow max signal without exceeding the digital max. There are excellent built in comps once your tracks is recorded.

Traditionally I've stayed away from BOSS products as my perception was one of BOSS=CHEAP but knowing it's a ROLAND company relieves those concerns although I still think the cosmetics are a little toyish looking compared to the Roland recorders. But hey if the worst I've got to say is it looks funky then I'd call it a good day :)

I will add, however, that there's another recorder, the TASCAM 2488, that, while impressive in specs, does have noise issues which Tascam has not addressed. I had originally purchased one prior to the BOSS 1600. I was even kicked off the Tascam forum for mentioning the bugs. oh well...

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Hey fred ~

On the Boss units, is it possible to record tracks dry, then add onboard effects later without going into a computer? Maybe by bouncing a track, or can they do it during mixdown?

Thanks.

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Never mind. You can. I just bought one this afternoon.

10. cujo

cujo

May 20, 2004
    hi guys,

Just a quick question before I rush out and buy one...

I want to use the 8 simulataneous tracks to record drums. can I play back the other tracks whilst recording. ala BR-8?

thanks

CuJo

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yes.

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

How where you kicked off the Tascam forums?? They have been closed down for over a year now!!!

13. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Just dug up this thread.... Munji, you still have yours? If so how do you like it?