Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bow

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by ajbass, May 12, 2005.

1. I am looking to upgrade my bow sometime over the summer before i begin auditioning for schools. By the end of june i will probably have about $1500 saved. I've played with some really nice bows, and am looking to upgrade from my nice, but very light, brasilwood stick. Any advice on where to start looking? I live in the New York capitol region but I'm open to looking anywhere.

2. I just received 2 bows on approval from Tom Owen. I can promise only will be sent back.
    They are round pernambuco and they go for $750.

You'll find other posts about his bows if you search this forum.
    I strongly recommend!

Good Luck,
    Dave

3. Thanks for the reply. Does he have a website or an email address that I can reach him at?

4. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    Gage has a lot of good bows. Check it out.

5. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    try prochownick.. best bow i've ever tried ( and now owned) he's canadian... maybe it'll be complicated if you're in the state but he really make professionnal bow and for a great price.....

http://www.mts.net/~prochown/

6. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    and oh! i forgot.. it's really cool to say "Yeah.. my bow is a Prochwnick" lol
    :D just a joke

7. B. Johnson

B. Johnson

Apr 28, 2005
    A good place to start looking is always Kolsteins in new york, I also find that the bass cellar in cinncinati carries some nice sticks.

8. Tom Owens - 580-927-9939

Check out the thread I just bumped re: Tom's bows. I dont think he has a website but I've seen his bows on some resellers sites.
    I'd go direct.

I can't tell u which makers I've tried, only that I've played alot of bows north of $1000 and hadn't found anything I liked better than my brazilwood till now. I also went thru alot of carbon bows and they weren't even close. (for me anyway...)

9. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York

When i was looking at bows at Gage they let me test the new carbon bow that they helped design with CodaBow. Its called the revelation and played and sounded just about as good as the Bultitude, LaPierre, Morizot, and Lotte sticks I was trying out. And for 550 you can't do any better. Highly reccomend checking it out.

Also, another reccomendation for kolstein. He has a great bow collection, just bought one there a few days ago.

10. What kind of bounce do the Owen and the Prochownik have. Other than being fairly light, my brasilwood bow lacks a good bounce. I've been told this has to do with the material (brasilwood vs. pernambuco).

Does Prochownik or Owen have a specific trial length (or any at all)?

Again thanks for the help

11. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    The prochownik bows are really light and the bounce is labored, to be kind. I really had to work to get any decent amount of sound out of mine.

12. I'm not the best judge to describe the bounce, check out the other threads on Tom Ownen. If u doint find the feedback your looking for, message some of the more experienced players who own one. I'm good to judge tone and articulation (along with the help of my flutist wife's ear) thats about it.

13. Wow, the hudson really catches the eye. Do you know the price?

14. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    I think they are 5k

15. Does Hudson only make one grade of bow ( priced 5K), or does he have lower models. I would love to try a "batch" of different priced bows. I would also love to compare Hudson to Owen.

Thanks everyone for the replies. EFisher, did u study with Henry Neubert at Ithaca or as a private student? I study with his brother and will be auditioning for Ithaca this fall to study with Nick Walker ( Henry being retired).

16. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    Yup, I studied with Henry for five years before going to Juilliard. He's great. Last time I spoke with him all he did was rave about how great Nick Walker is. The students at IC that I've talked to all really like him a lot too. He's really great with Bach (has his doctorate in early music) and did jazz for a long time as well.

17. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    He has different grades. His gold plated bows are 6k, and silver you can find for around 3500-5k. Also he has several "lower standard" bows that don't bear his name but are completely made by him that go for around 1,500. All prices in CAD$$ ofcourse.

18. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    I disagree, the Prochownik Sartory model bounces very easily, it's a very rigid stiff piece of wood.

19. If you search these forums for bow advice you'll finds lots of recommendations. Per my previous post (and posts from others) you should definitely get a couple bows from Tom Owen to compare to what ever else you try. They won't cost your full 1500 but you'll have a hard time beating it!

Good Luck,
    Dave