Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metal5bassist, Apr 1, 2005.

1. metal5bassist

metal5bassist

Mar 22, 2005
    Ok, I currently run an Ampeg SVT4PRO head into an Ampeg PR410HLF cabinet and i'm currently looking at getting an Ampeg BXT115HL4. Would that make a decent set up or should I get another PR410HLF cab?

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'd suggest another PR410HLF

3. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    DEFINITELY agree with that.

4. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    If you have the means to transport two of the HLFs, and don't mind hauling them, then I say go for the second HLF. I use an SVT410HLF and I can't imagine having to haul a second one, I guess I'm just a pansy.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it depends upon what sound you're after.

6. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I'm sort of wondering why you'd need a second one. I run this same setup and couldn't possibly need any more stage volume. If I did, the only thing I could think of doing is replacing the PR410 HLF with a more sensitive cabinet. If you replaced it with something like a Shroeder or an Accugroove, you'd be easily upping your volume level as much as adding a 2nd Ampeg cabinet, but you'd still only have to lug one cabinet. I know it's not much fun lugging my 128 lb PR410 HLF around. I can only imagine TWO.

If you must though, I'd get the second 410. These things go so low and sound so good, the only companion for it is another like it. *edit* Keep in mind that they are not overly sensitive, and that you may need another power amp to really fully power a pair of them.