New Carvin Bunny Brunel BB75

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bonga_rascal, Sep 9, 2010.

1. bonga_rascal

bonga_rascal

Sep 9, 2010
    Hye .

I'm thinking of going in for a Carvin BB 75 .

I want to ask questions about the neck and the string spacing .

I'm going in for a Bass with a matt Garrison-esque vibe .

Its going to have a walnut body with a fingured walbut top and a 5 piece maple neck and Soapbar pickups .

Its going to be tuned E-C and have a detuner on the E string . What i Want to know is how comfortable the neck is on this bass >

Are there any people here who have this bass ??

I would very much like to know their oprnion on it

Also, on a general note how difficult is chording on instruments with this kind of spacing ??

I've been playiong a bass that has 17.5mm string spacing . IS it something that takes a long time to get used to ??

I'd appreciate what you guys think about this .

Thanks .

2. I once had an older LB75 with the asymmetrical neck, but it's been too long to give a valuable opinion about it.

Have you searched the other Carvin threads and tried the Carvin Forum?

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I can't answer your questions, but just wanted to add that the BB75 has always been my favorite looking Carvin. I love that long upper horn and short lower horn. I actually had one years ago. I paid $400 for it. It was fretless and it came with a Carvin 2x10 cabinet! I sold it later because I had a fretless Zon already but I remember that neck being wide and thin. I'd love to try another one now that I've been around the block and back :)

In fact, the BB75 is on my list of stuff to try when I am ready for a new high end 5 string in the $1200 range, and it's a short list.

4. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I had a BB75 for a while. The modern sound wasn't my cup of tea, but it was the most comfortable instrument I've ever owned. I loved the asymmetric neck profile, the balance was perfect, it was light, and access all the way up to the 24th fret was effortless. The build quality was stellar, too.

I really liked the wide string spacing, but I believe you can get the narrow string spacing as an option.

If the sound is up your alley, I say go for it.

5. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    For me, the most comfortable 5 string neck I've ever played. Wide 19 mm spacing plus an asymetrical, thin front to back neck is ideal in a 5 string for me. I had intended to change out the pups/electronics when I got mine due to some of the comments I'd heard but found I really liked it's sound with the MM style bridge pup.

6. Just out of curiosity, how hard is it to make a 33" scale length bass ??

I mean I know the entire engineering of the instrument, its bridge placvement and everything will have to change, but with CNC machines and so much advanced technology, is it oo much to ask for from a company like carvin to affer alternative scale lengths ??

7. Spraeg

Spraeg

May 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I have an LB75WF, and I love it. I don't do much chording, but the string spacing is a comfortable medium for me. The neck has a thin D-profile front-to-back, and while being a bit wider than some others, it doesn't have the runway feel of the MTDs or Laklands I've played. Try looking through the Carvin club thread, and I'm sure there's some other reviews around here.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    How many other companies offer a 33" scale?

9. @ mmbongo - Yes I know that Fodera is probably the only famous company that offers 33" scale length . But we are talking different budgets here, different as in as different as the Sky and the earth .

But I'm curious to know how difficult it is to produce a 33" scale length bass

10. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Cavin does offer an alternate scale length, it's a 35-1/4" scale. Ric's are close to what you want at 33-1/4" scale.

11. I love my BB75 fretless and fretted basses.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021