1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Cheap Modded Bass Day NCMBD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skyline_01, Dec 2, 2019.

1. skyline_01

skyline_01 Jeremy Nichols, Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio
    I recently picked up a used Squier Affinity P Bass to fix up for my daughter's Christmas present (yes, she asked for bass stuff, which is awesome). I cleaned the fretboard with 0000 steel wool and conditioned it with mineral oil, then cleaned/polished the rest of the bass as best I could. It sounds and looks way better than I thought it would. Makes me itch for another P Bass project to keep for myself. :)Mods/upgrades include:

- New high-quality wiring kit (CTS, orange drop, switchcraft, push-back cloth wiring, yadda yadda)
    - New (cheap but nice looking) pickguard
    - New cheap higher-mass-than-stock bridge; used some longer 1-1/4" #6 screws to anchor it bc the screw holes were beginning to strip
    - New heavy-feeling flat-top chrome knobs (actually came with the wiring kit)
    - Dunlop Super Brights
    - action/intonation/height adjustments

Link to hastily-put-together sound demo below.

IMG-0458.JPG IMG-0459.JPG

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    klejst, tindrum, Axstar and 48 others like this.
  2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Nice job Dad! It shows with a little work a low end bass can shine. I love doing projects like this. BTW, bass sounds great.

MCF, selowitch, DJ Bebop and 5 others like this.
  3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    That's some solid parenting right there, nicely done :thumbsup:

Bass looks killer and sounds good :bassist:

BooDoggie, 210superair and skyline_01 like this.
  4. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Thanks to you both! It was fun to do and I think the results are pretty remarkable. I'm jonesing for another project now but next time I'll likely hang onto it for myself.

BTW if you're ever looking for a good but fairly inexpensive P harness I strongly recommend this one. Shipping was really quick too.

Precision Bass Harness & Knobs-CTS Orange Drop Switchcraft
    Precision Bass Harness & Knobs-CTS Orange Drop Switchcraft

5. Looks great! She’s gonna love it :)

My main bass is a modded Squier Affinity. Never even changed the pickup, it sounds that good!

EatS1stBassist and skyline_01 like this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thay sucker sounds fan-dang-tastic. Looks good too!

How old is she? My girls are getting a digital piano from Sandy Claws this year.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice job! looks and sounds deluxe. congratulations to your daughter on her new instrument! :thumbsup: and to her thoughtful dad! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Yep, I fully agree! At first I was considering an inexpensive pickup change (Artec, GFS, Wilkinson, etc) but I was pleasantly surprised by how good the stock one sounded with the upgraded wiring kit. The audio on the demo above was recorded direct to DAW with no outboard eq and just a little compression. I'm really pleased at how well everything worked out!

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  9. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Thanks, man! It turned out way better than I had imagined it would.

She's sixteen and has been interested in bass for a while now, and I haven't even pushed her toward it. She's very musical and is the section leader on sax in band and was one of the drum majors this marching season. She also dabbles in keyboard and guitar.

I hope that your girls enjoy the piano! :hyper:

10. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Thank you very much! I wanted her to have something that would last a good while, have better-than-average playability and sound, and have a personalized look too. All upgrades considered, I basically paid the same that I would have paid for a bone-stock Affinity.

She's also getting an Ampeg BA-108 that I found on FB for $40, a gig bag, stand, clip-on tuner and cable. I think she'll be ready to rock!

MCF, DJ Bebop, EatS1stBassist and 6 others like this.
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:thumbsup:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  12. That looks and sounds good! Sounds like a Merry Christmas, indeed.

210superair and skyline_01 like this.
  13. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Thanks! I think she'll be very pleased!

14. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi skyline_01 :)

Great job! :thumbsup:

Time to rehears! :D

Yoda gas - Copie (8).jpg

:laugh: Merry Christmas!

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

15. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    :laugh: I'll get right on it! Merry Christmas to you too!:bassist:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  16. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    2019 Best Dad Ever Award goes to... Skyline_01! :laugh:

skyline_01, Reedt2000 and wildman2 like this.
  17. Great work, dad! Your daughter should be very pleased. I think it looks awesome!

skyline_01 and Reedt2000 like this.
  18. wildman2

wildman2

Jun 8, 2016
    That thang sounds wicked..

skyline_01 likes this.
  19. GREAT CHOICES ON UPGRADES! Love the strings, those specific strings are the best way to make a cheap bass sound like a top line axe, imho.

MCF, BergerHead and skyline_01 like this.
  20. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Aww, shucks... I didn't prepare a speech.:laugh: