1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New design thoughts?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jeronimofesto, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Jeronimofesto

Jeronimofesto Luthier: JC Basses

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I started working on a new design for future builds. Here are just a couple examples of it with different woods and fretted/fretless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think? Things I should change/consider doing differently? Thanks

2. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Very interesting, nice flowing shape! the only thing you may want to reconsider is the top horn length. With the neck set shallow into the body like that the short top horn may cause the basses to be a little neck heavy.

3. Very nice elegant shape. My only thing would be that it kinda reminds me of those hello kitty and flower basses. I think it would look alot nicer with a nice wood grain instead of that finish you have there.

4. WoW!!!!

Me likey lots and lots!!!!

Gorgeous designs!...can't wait to hear soundclips, at that point I just might be tempted to get my checkbook out. :)

5. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I agree and think it could only handle a 4 or possibly a 5 string neck. Otherwise the balance would be totally off.

I had to look up what you meant by flower basses... haha it does kind of look like one. It was just my attempt at photoshopping some dyed quilted maple with a black burst. Now that I have it all drawn up on the computer it would only take a few minutes to make it have any wood you want.

Thank you very much, I accept PayPal too... ;)

6. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    A little more variation on the design with zebrawood:

[​IMG]

7. schnigges

schnigges

Jun 29, 2008
    luxembourg
    NIce design... I don't know how it will feel, but be careful about the left upper part of the body... it may stand out a little too much... great work though

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    My thoughts, in the rough order I had them, were
    - nice shape, I like it
    - maybe too metal-ish for Jazz guys but too rounded for metal guys
    - that bass isde horn looks kind of short
    - interesting blackburst
    - wait a minute: is that a guitar or a bass? the neck looks really short compared to the body
    - counted the frets and checked the bridge position. It's a bass
    - did rough screen measuring: if that's a 34" scale, then it's a 17" wide body, which is huge, or at least way too big for me.

9. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    It is a bass, I should have said that nothing was really to scale. It is more just for a visual representation. I should have just made a longer neck. The body would be 14" wide at the most, but will most likely be less than that.

10. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    Here is it a little closer to scale. Now I really need to extend the upper horn. Either that or just make a thicker/heavier body and that way I can keep my design in tact.

[​IMG]

11. i agree with scotty and pilot that the top horn looks a wee bit short

12. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    A heavier body doesn't help much with balance because a good part of the body is ahead of the balance point as well. You have to add a huge amount of weight for a small difference in balance.

If you're dead set on that design without modification I would suggest adding some lead weights as close to the tail end as possible.

13. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    With no disrespect intended, I am seldom impressed by bass designs predicated largely on the designer's sense of aesthetics because, for my money at least, aesthetics alone aren't sufficient to make me buy. Whether I'm designing or buying, I start with a list of features, attributes, and constraints. What are your design objectives? Aside from looks, what kinds of features and benefits will this design incorporate to attract buyers?

14. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    We'll see how it goes if I build it, I think a 4 string with my usual 1.5" thick body will balance just fine.

I think most designs are based on aesthetics. (Most) basses are comfortable to play sitting and standing. A well made bass is nice/easy to play. So I feel that someone would choose me for this custom bass based on the aesthetics of it.

15. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    I like the curve angle on the rear-lower end of the bass. It's different from the standard, but because of the horns and rear-upper end, it's not too radical.

I think you should try to match the angle on the rear-lower end on the upper horn. Not the same size, but slightly smaller. Emphasize those two corners of the body - also improving balance.

16. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    That still looks not quite to scale, so it's really hard to judge.

I like the way it looks, but it's hard to tell about the balance.

All of my basses have a top horn extending to around the 12th fret, and they're not exceptionally large. That looks to be around the 18th fret. If that's truly the case it'll probably be very neck heavy. Also, it suggests that the body is very small? I'm guessing that's not the way it's intended?

17. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    Here I went ahead and compared it to a 24 fret jazz style bass. Here they are with the jazz behind mine. The widths are similar as well as the neck length. The main difference as stated before is the upper horn length.

[​IMG]

Here is it with mine in back. Mine has more to the left on the lower side which would help with balance. My headstock is way smaller and the tuners are not as heavy as Fender.

[​IMG]

Perhaps later today I can work on a design with an extended upper horn to see what it will look like. Otherwise I think it will be fine. Sorry I don't mean to argue because I know you are just trying to help.

18. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    Ok I think I actually like this one with the longer horn better than the original.

[​IMG]

Here I dramatically made the horn longer and I really don't care for it at all. (I didn't make the back picture longer since I didn't like it.)

[​IMG]

19. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    I agree, the mid length one is the best looking. If you keep the headstock light it should work. :)

Where's the strap buttong going, BTW?

20. Jeronimofesto

Oct 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    That is what I have been contemplating as well. If I put it closer to the bridge on that curve, it kind of pulls the bass down towards the neck. Then I could go on the upper side of that point above the bridge, but that seems a little high.

What I usually do is put the one in the upper horn that I know where it will be, then with all the parts on the bass I put a strap on and test different areas to attach the other holder and have it balance. It has worked out perfect so far, so we'll see.