1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Dingwall

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fredguy, Jul 29, 2007.

1. fredguy

fredguy

Dec 13, 2004
    ootah
    After much agonizing I finally purchased a Dingwall Afterburner I and figured I'd wait until it had been gigged before posting a review. I tried a number of high end 5 strings, Sadowsky, Lakland, Roscoe, Lull and Dingwall and it came down to the Roscoe and the Dingwall. I decided on the Dingwall as I really wanted a passive bass. I looked without success for a used one and ended up getting a new AB1 from Bass Central. The bass has an alder body with flamed maple top, maple neck with wenge fretboard, and weighs in right at 8 pounds. Getting used to the fanned frets was easy, getting used to the fifth string was a little more difficult. After a couple of weeks of home play and one rehearsal I took it to a gig on Friday night. I played my Nash Jazz through my LMK2 and Epifani 3x10 for the first two sets and swapped out for the Dingwall for the last set. I ran the amp at the same settings, slight hi mid cut, VLE at 9 o'clock, slight bass boost. I used the pickups in series with the tone rolled off about 75%. It had a thick Pbass like tone and sat well in the mix. I actually played a little better during the third set as I was concentrating more than usual. The band loved it and I think I'll be bringing two basses to gigs from now on. Since the bass doesn't exist until pictures are posted here you be.

dingwallsmall.

and the body without the glare:

dingwallbodysmall.

Dave

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Nice! I love mine too!

And...Dingwalls love LM2's!!!!

3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
  4. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Congrats and play 'er in good health!

:bassist:

5. Loverly Bass!!!

I want one.

To be more specific, I want this in a 6 string version

*drools*

Attached Files:

6. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Congrtats! It looks great, fredguy. :)

Out of interest, what does it sound "like"? I've never come across a Dingwall bass, either in shops or on TV/YouTube etc., so I have no point of reference.

Are they Jazz Bassy, Alembicy, Sadowskyy :p ?

7. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    *sigh*

I had one that looked just like that. You have a fantastic bass there, congratulations.

Fender32, the Dingwall AB-1 is the ultimate P-bass on steroids sound IMO. It is what the perfect Fender 5 string P should sound like. Both pickups are side-by-side humbuckers like a P, but the neck is much friendlier and the fanned frets really let that low B talk. You can get J tones out of it as well, its pretty versatile. But, think great passive tone with a perfect mix of traditional and aggressive.

8. fredguy

fredguy

Dec 13, 2004
    ootah
    DoubleAgent hit it pretty well. Both pickups in series, with the tone rolled down to taste, sounds like a thick p-bass. The pickups in parallel is jazz like but not as close to a standard jazz sound as the pickups in series is to a p-bass. The Nash just nails the vintage jazz both pickups full on tone. The bass is just a blast to play and it's nice going to a lighter bass for the last set as it weighs 8 pounds while the Nash is closer to 9 pounds. Now I just need to get DR to make some long scale high beam flats. My fingers just aren't used to stainless round wound strings.

Dave

9. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Congratulations on the Dingwall. IMHO These basses are, by far, the easiest to play, great sounding and they sit perfectly in the mix. Very versatile too.

10. mandrlane

mandrlane

Dec 22, 2006
    Great bass... I own an afterburner II.... Quick question for you though...

Hows the action? Thats the thing about mine I am not happy with. I've tweaked the heck out of it and can't get low action without a bunch of buzz...

Had one guy look at it and he thought maybe the nut was not quite right...

So I'm thinking about taking it somewhere to get the nut/frets done so I can get lower action. Little frustrating though, fugure it should have came right. But overall its one heck of a bass!

Congrats

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    On my Dingwall, if I want low action, I have to adjust ALL relief out of the neck. They seem to prefer zero relief if you want the strings really low. Any amount of relief at all caused buzz for me.

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Looks like you've been bitten by the Dingerbug......in my case it was fatal. Enjoy the disease, and if you like flats, I recommend D'Addario Chromes Super Long set-they fit and sound ginormous on an Afterburner IMO/IME.

13. fredguy

fredguy

Dec 13, 2004
    ootah
    The action is higher than I typically like but I haven't tweaked it yet. I'm going to try to get it a little lower once I get some free time. I'll post before and after measurements.

As for flats, chromes aren'm my favorites but I'm going to order a set just to see how the bass sounds with flats.

Dave

14. fredguy

fredguy

Dec 13, 2004
    ootah
    Update:

I got a set of chrome flats from The Perfest Bass yesterday and they went on without incident. I trimmed the silk on the b string and burned the ends with a lighter. A quick half turn of the truss rod got the relief just under 0.020" and I dropped the saddles to get the action down to 7/64" on the b string and 5/64" on the g string. The bass with flats sounds huge. Now I just have to convince DR to make a set of hi beam flats in a super long scale 5 string set.

Dave