Featured New DiVision Vacuum Tube Direct Box from Lightning Boy Audio

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, May 17, 2021.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Lightning Boy Audio introduces the DiVision. This is a limited edition vacuum tube direct box. It features a tiny 6DS4 nuvistor vacuum tube running at 230V for big tube tone and headroom in a little box. So little in fact, it weighs just under 1 pound.

The DiVision is powered by a standard 9V pedal adapter and boosts it internally to deliver the full tube sound you’d expect from the more common mains powered tube direct boxes. The output is mic level and 200 Ohms impedance, derived from the onboard output transformer, a Lightning Boy Audio MC15. The DiVision offers up to 11dB of clean boost with a rock bottom noise floor. It has an active shelving EQ, labeled “Vision,” which uses the tube to produce a treble boost of up to 6dB, shouldered at 10kHz. With the Vision knob fully turned down, the DiVision presents a flat response from 10Hz-22kHz with 0.2% THD+N. The tube amplifier stage operates as class A and is single-ended.

Only 68 DiVision’s will be produced and sold direct from www.lightningboyaudio.com for $329 USD.

Attached Files:

R&B, staurosjohn, TonyP- and 7 others like this.
  2. Why make a limited edition DI box? Is there really a market for that?

3. lightningboy

lightningboy Commercial User

Apr 3, 2012
    USA
    Because Nuvistor tubes are no longer made and I had 68 of them. And yes, there is clearly a market for this since people have been buying them.

4. Gotcha! :)

5. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Interesting! Can you put a number to the 'ultra low noise' spec? ( I couldn't find it on the website...) Thanks!

6. lightningboy

Apr 3, 2012
    USA
    I have the ability. Finding the time is a different story. I’ve been trying to get to it. Hopefully this week I can.

mikewalker likes this.
  7. lightningboy

Apr 3, 2012
    USA
    Noise Floor = -99dB RMS A weighted after the DiVision has been powered on for at least 10 minutes. -95dB Peak with no weighting.

8. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Awesome! :thumbsup::thumbsup: thanks for the data :)

lightningboy likes this.
  9. I see them F/S on Etsy but low stock. Is there a substitute or upgrade for the tube?

10. Spectre Gunner

Spectre Gunner Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tampa, Florida
    It's a shame they don't make that tube anymore. Damn transistors. I did some looking into the Nuvistor and found it was used in some of the finest audiophile gear that I've had the opportunity to listen to over the years. I can see why you decided to build your DI around this particular tube. I'd like to hear that pedal and the only way that's likely to happen is to order one. If there are any left.

11. lightningboy

Apr 3, 2012
    USA
    There's more left and I have a 30 day return policy.

punchdrunk and Spectre Gunner like this.
  12. lightningboy

Apr 3, 2012
    USA
    There are a few variants that are basically the same: 6DS4, 6CW4, 7895, 6S52N-V.

13. labravajazz

labravajazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    What is the input impedance?

14. lightningboy

Apr 3, 2012
    USA
    Roughly 700k Ohms

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021