1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NEW!!! EHX XO Q-Tron!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Happynoj, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Get excited kids!

XO version of the original Q-Tron. Seems pretty similar to the XO+ that has been out for a while.

Differences to XO+ are:

- Response (Speed) knob has disappeared. The Sweep Direction Switch takes it's place.

- The logo is a gorgeous shade of lime green

- No effects loop

2340646889_f0c203a477.

I will probably be buying this at some point - it has less functionality that the XO+, but the features that are missing will hopefully be counterbalanced by a lower price.

2. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    24V center positive

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    But the original and the + have identical power requirements.

It's not a difference. :p

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The response speed is worth the $20 to $25 difference IMO.

5. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Maybe. But is the orange/green logo tradeoff worth it?

6. why would they do this? doesn't make sense, the + has all the options, why would they make the same thing with less?

it really doesn't make sense to me.:confused:

7. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Some people like less options. Kinda like buying a car with or with out a radio.

8. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    not at all, the green is cooler by miles.

I'm seriously considering picking one of these up... I don't know why, maybe I've been smoking too much weed recently, but they just sound soooo goooood. That and with that paintjob, I think I could get away with it. :bag:

9. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    The green does look cooler.

10. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Same size as the SMMH, Polyphase and those pedals I take it?

11. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yep.

4.75" x 6"

12. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    How thick are they? In the video of the QTron+ it looked thick.

13. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Same as all the other XO series pedals - I think it's about 1.5" thick, without the knobs. I'd need to measure my Mistress - I've never really taken thickness into account when planning my pedalboard.

I've owned a Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai. It's the exact same depth and height as the Stereo Electric Mistress, Micro POG, Little Big Muff, etc. - only the width is different.

14. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cool. I have a SEM as well. Thanks to you Boo. ;) I kinda figured it was the same thickness. The video makes it look thicker.

15. Has anyone seen the stereo qtron on the new ehx site?!

16. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Its thick but not overwhelmingly so, probably about 2/3 the thickness of a Boss box.

17. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Price will be lower. I think it is cool - I wouldn't use the loop, and I don't think I would use the different speeds, so being able to get what I would use, but cheaper is pretty cool. Also, THE GREEN-NESS!!!!

Actually, I think that the SMMWH (And I guess Polyphase, Holy Stain, Q-Tron, etc) is slightly taller than the LBM (And I guess SEM, Micro POG, etc). It is only about 3mm or something, but there is definitely a difference.

Actually, thinking about it, maybe it is the feet? I'm not sure, but when my SMMWH and LBM sit next to each other the MM is taller.

18. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    why couldn't they put in a volume control instead of the boost... the signal on my old qtron was always boosted even with the boost off...

19. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Shouldn't there be some sort of internal volume controll?

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't use the effects loop on my Q-tron+ XO, and I really like the lime green, but the speed control does make a fair difference , particularly in the Down mode.

No- are you just looking at the Q-tron+ XO that has an effects loop? Those aren't stereo ins/outs.

I thought the same thing when I got mine. What works though (even though it's labeled poorly) is that when the Boost is on, it isn't just a boost- it becomes a volume and sensitivity control. You can turn down the volume so it's not as loud. What would be best is just separate volume and gain knobs, but eh, they're EH- they've gotten do something screwy, right? :D