Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new equipment question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by paniak17, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I thought you said that you wanted to stay with a cassette machine. The two machines you have listed are both digital.
    I say dump the cassette and go digital. You can get a fairly simple to use digital 8 track with built in effects for pretty cheap these days. If possible try to get something that has a hard drive and USB. It's much easier to back up your work.
    You can also move the wave files to your comp to mix with computer based software. There is a little learning to do up front when you go digital but if you can post messages on this forum and insert links to stuff you want to buy then I would say you shouldn't have much problem getting it sorted out.

Happy recording!

2. thanks for the post, yeah now that i look back i did say that, but i didnt mean it. but which of those two would you recomend?

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    It looks like the Boss machine is more $ but it gives you built in drum patterns to use when recording. It isn't programable as far as making your own patterns but for getting ideas down it should have fairly useful patterns to use as a guide.
    The fostex is cheaper so if drums are not important to you then I would say go with it.
    Both offer USB support so you can back up your projects.
    The first machines that used flash media didn't have USB so it was kind of a pain storing projects and reloading them when you wanted to work on them.

Will you be using this to record a band or mostly for song writing?

4. mainly for getting my ideas on tape, overdubbing and such, songwriting stuff. My tascam porta02mk2 is alright, but only has 4 tracks, not the best sound quality, and saves on a cassatte.

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Both of those machines will work for your purposes.

6. ive done some research and i figure i want the fostex, but i just have ONE last question. If i get this machine, does it come with the software to convert your song to a .wav file? and will i have to buy any other item to go with this, because all i have is

microphone
    bass
    guitar
    cords

will i need anything else to make a song and make a .wav file of it? does it come with all the attachments to attach it to your computer? thanks for answering, Edwcdc!

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    The only thing you will be lacking is drums. The software should come with it but if it doesn't you can download it from the Fostex USA website. I don't know if it comes with a USB cable but that's cheap at any computer store. If you go to the Fostex site I think you can even download the manual so you can get an idea what you can do with the unit.

8. thanks so much for answering my questions, soon after i get some christmas money im going to order it. Thanks so much.

9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    No problem, good luck!

10. 1 more question, this is it, i promise!

alright i was reading part of the manual(this is a big buy for me so i have to make sure everything will work) and for the digital mixdown part(p.48), it says to connect it to the digital imput connector of the digital master recorder...alright so i take it that that is the computer?? and also, how do i know if my computer is good enough to work with this..thanks again edwcdc!

EDIT: the manual is on this page:

http://www.fostex.com/index.php?file=products/digital/mr8