Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by shwashwa, Feb 9, 2006.

1. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i have a bass that i would like to get some more sustain out of. (i already have the strings covered...) the fingerboard is kind of thin, and it may not be the best quality. (factory chinese fingerboard on a carved chinese bass) would adding a more massive and thick fingerboard increase the sustain and move around some of the wolf tones?
    i did this many years back to a factory romainian bass and if i remember correctly it did improve the sound and sustain quite a bit, but its been so long now i thought i'd ask to see what other folks thought.
    thanks

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yes. Do it do it do it do it.
    I loved the sound of my bass before I took it to Jeff, I love it THAT MUCH more since I got it back. The fell and sound is SO happening, TP just SINGS. It still ahs the siolidity and projection and warmth it did, but now this whole other dimension.

If you don't have anyone in mind to do the new board, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Jeff Bollbach. I'll be at Sofia's (46th between 7th & 8th) Friday the 17th if you want to fall by and check out the job he did.

3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Hey Ed-Spam for both me and you in one paragraph-pretty good!;)

4. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    maybe i'll drop by. where is sophia's? who are you playing with?

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    really wonderful tenor player named Red Hendtstrom; he just turned 85 last year and Nick Fasano on piano. It's just a theatre district bar/restaurant in the Hotel Edison (46th between 7th and 8th), the gig's 7-11:30pm.

JEFEJEFF - I exist but to serve.