Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Forum

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Martin Sheridan, May 25, 2005.

1. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    I'd like to propose a new forum that for lack of a better title would be called the Luthiers Forum or Makers Forum.
    It would incorporate this forum of set up/repair, but also include making and techniques, varnishing and varnishes,
    bass identification, buying and selling hints, values etc.

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    And I nominate Martin to be the moderator...

3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    :eek:

4. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    I learned in the Army to never volunteer!

I love Talk Bass and it's fine with me if nobody else likes the idea, I thought it would combine some of the issues raised on
    Basses with some on Set Up and Repair that seem to go together. Plus many of our Bassists are also interested in
    learning more about shop issues such as varnishing, making, woods etc.

I leave now for a week on the road and I volunteer Arnold and
    Nick to moderate...har,har.

5. maybe try this is paul's shack?

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've proposed this very thing three or four times already, and even got Paul onboard to create any kind of sub-forum they wanted...and the luthiers on the board didn't seem too interested. I guess they were all just very happy with their craft, golf, dreaming about women, and glasses of beer. I think Nnick might have claimed to have been for it, but I suspect it was only so he could have an excuse to procrastinate further about cleaning the commode at his shop. In the end, I think the general consensus by default was that Setup and Repair would end up being our "Luthiers Corner" by default.

If I'm wrong about that, or if anything changes, y'all give me a holler, y'hear?

7. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    I have been lurking as an unregistered visitor for months, especially looking at the set-up and repair forum, specifically because I am currently building my first Double Bass, and I have been hoping to find others discussing the hows, whys, and whats of building a bass.

Perhaps this is the place, but I haven't seen much chatter along that line. There is not much available in the way of books, apparently. I am building a gamba-cornered bass, using the "William Tarr" model design, which I purchased from Peter Chandler, along with his book "So you you want to build a double bass". I also bought the set-up and repair book now available from Henry Strobel, through a variety of outlets.

I would appreciate any feedback I can get--caveats, encouragements, etc.

8. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    [QUOTE.

I would appreciate any feedback I can get--caveats, encouragements, etc.[/QUOTE]

We love to hear about anyone building a bass. If you want feedback-ask a specific question. That's one reason that this separate forum never caught on, most questions are already pretty well addressed in the casual form we have now. Although now that I think of it, not that we have SilverSorcerer on board, TB prolly could have a Luthier's corner in which he addressed all issues correctly. The old crew of luthiers are really kind of obsolete 'cepting for maybe comic relief.

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I am not a Db Luthier, but I am traditionally trained wood worker [boat building and I have built 13 electric instruments and a drum], I have this book as well and I do plan on building a DB down the road. One thing I would like to point out is that "IMOP" figure 47 on page 36[ i.e. fitting the front to the sides using a handheld belt sander] is not good advice at all, in less you have tons hours of experience with this tool, they are not easy to control and things can go south real quick; if it was me I'd use a hand plane.

In think Bob Branstetter really said it best
    I do like the book; but I do think a few salt grains are needed.
    Good luck
    Aaron N

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I do not find this so, reading your posts and the posts from "the old crew of luthiers" is one of the only reasons I come here at all!

11. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    Pics?

:hyper:

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Hopefully it would not be like the madhouse this is on the other side...

13. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Don't have any pictures-- don't have a digital camera. I might be able to borrow one. So far, I have the rib garland complete, up through linings and neck mortise. The front is arched and purfled, but not graduated-- the back is not done at all, as there were some specific things I wanted to attempt that I wasn't ready to try, yet.

This is my fifth complete instrument, but my first bass. Very different, and a little tough to get used to. Some of the problems in the Chandler book I recognize, simply because I have built other instruments, using more traditional methods. Those kinds of pitfalls I can pretty easily avoid.

Things should go a little better now-- I cleaned out part of my tractor shed, so I had a bigger place to work. (My small instruments I built on a workboard in my lap, for lack of a proper workspace.) I had begun with the bass garland balanced on my little tractor, and rushed it outside to work atop sawhorses, whenever the weather permitted. But I finally got a proper worktable, and got rid of a lot of junk, and it feels much more hopeful. :)

The scroll is nearly complete, as well as the rest of the neck. I have not yet fit the tuning machines, though I have drilled the holes-- they are tapered, but are made to go only partway through the far wall of the pegbox, and the pegbox design is narrower than they were evidently designed to fit-- so I need to trim them, finish reaming the holes, etc. then I'll be on the home stretch on the neck assembly.

Anyway-- it is for the son of a friend, who is a promising young bassist. He has been limping along with a cheap plywood bass (CCB, I think you fellows call them?) for several years. I have kept it alive with heavy repairs (neck got broken off twice-- big hole another time....) But his dad decided it was time for a real bass... I hope I can cut the mustard, so to speak.

14. I've been curious to take a look at that Chandler book . . . do any of you who own it plan to attend the bass convention next week? I'd love to see it before shelling out the ~$70 . . . I'll been in Kalamazoo all week . . .

thanks,
    Jeremy

15. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    I will not be there, but I feel the book has been worthwhile, _to a beginning builder_ . As this is my first bass, it has been a big help. I had the Wake book earlier, and this seems to be much more helpful. Lots of drawings, photographs, etc. Pretty good descriptions and instructions.

In terms of layout, there are a number of things I would change, but I am picky that way. In terms of content, I believe it is somewhat limited, but, then again, there aren't many books out there, on building basses. I think it was worth my money, but I have heard other builders (NOT beginners) criticize it pretty sharply. I guess I wish that one (or several) of them would take the plunge and write a book (either together or singly)-- show us all how it should be done. I would certainly buy it.

16. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Don, depending on the subject, poster and who gets offended, It's already is a Madhouse!

I Second the Nomination for Martin... Gavel Slammed.. DONE!

17. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    I don't understand why the topics Martin initially brought up can't be addressed and discussed right here. It is, after all, the setup and repair forum. Perhaps a simple name change for the forum will suffice? Luthier's Hang? The Bench? The Glue Pot?? Setup & Repair??? Oh, wait....

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    SS's Bully Pulpit ?

19. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    BOO-yah... That's the one I was trying to think up...

20. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    great minds think alike...