1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New gig, all Duck Dunn

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BlackLake, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Just joined a Blues Brothers clone. They only play about 12 times a year, but the basslines are really fun. I've been studying DVD's and Youtube stuff and am trying to keep it real as far as positions, fills and sound etc.

Now I want a P more than ever, I may deck out a Squier (first gig in April will pay for it) for now, and search for a Fender later.

Any other Duck lovers out there?

2. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Yea, Booker T & the MG's where cool. Big groove there baby!

3. Yes, after I've got all of the BB set nailed, I'm gonna look into his earlier, and newer works. He truly has some great grooves, and of course has recorded two awesome versions of Soul Man, in 2 different keys.

4. Duck Dunn FTW :)

5. Doo Wop

Doo Wop

Apr 26, 2007
    , Maryland
    Bass Books.com has a great Duck Dunn book called "What Duck Done" has 33 of his recordings. Great Book if you like the "Duck"

6. The Duck defines great, classic bass playing. Nothing excessive, nothing showy, none of this "gee, I'm a bass player and I'm going to fill all the holes you guitar players leave".

Groove. Tasty, solid, groove. That's the Duck. he knows what bass is about, and neither underplays nor overplays.

And he proves that everyone needs a good P-bass.

7. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    If you're going to be "Duck" - play a "Duck" (i.e. get a Lakland Duck Dunn) - you will love it!!!!!

BTW - have alot of fun! I LOVE BB music!

8. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Don Dunn is the king of the soul groove, and +1 for the "what duck done" book. Not as good as it could be, but still a great resource if you are just digging into the Duck!

Check out some of the Booker T recordings (like Soul Dressing) where they just re-did instrumental versions of the hit tunes with subtle shifts in melody/arrangement to allow for them to collect a separate royalty. You can really hear the band working it out!

9. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Duck is one of the Godfathers and BT and the MGs one of the great bands of all time.

BTW, Basspraiser's right. I checked out a Lakland Duck Dunn recently. Saweet!!!

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Duck Dunn is one of my favorite bass players. His bass lines fit the songs perfectly.

I can't get into the look of the Lakland though. The bridge just looks too clunky.

11. I prefered the Duck sig. that fender had.