1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New head or new cab or neither???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jthakwvu, May 4, 2010.

1. Jthakwvu

Jthakwvu

May 4, 2010
    Hey guys. I got an Ampeg SVT 3 Pro and an Ampeg SVT 610HLF recently and it sounds amazing! Well, two weeks in and I'm starting to have issues. First, the cab has started making a rumbling noise, kinda sounds like a tornado. Then the tube gain pot has become very noisy. Then this past Friday at a gig, on top of the other mentioned issues, another bassist playing it said it was cutting out and there was some crazy noise when I touched the top of the head with my fingers, until I turned off the EQ. OK, long post I know but I want to be thorough. So I called Ampeg and they said the first problem is that the SVT 3 Pro can not power the 610HLF. They said that cab REQUIRES 600 watts. He said that RMS is the required power and said I would be lucky if the speakers or drivers aren't blown. I was unaware of that and if that is the case, that means that I'm under powering my PA. Anyway, so have any of you heard of that and if so, should I upgrade the amp or downgrade to the 410HLF?

Thanks guys!

2. Tylerrr51

Tylerrr51

Nov 28, 2009
    Milford, CT
    Id personally downgrade to the 410HLF

3. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

Jun 2, 2009
    Hmmm... the 4 is 500wRMS/4ohms and the 6 is 600wRMS/4ohms, so I can't see that much difference, and I've never heard of the SVTs being spec'd and matched so closely. I'm not sure they have a head that matches the 6 any better than the 3P.

That said, it sounds like your 3P has some issues. Cross-testing with different amps/cabs/cables might help diagnose it, and it certainly sounds like some sort of circuit problem in the PEQ that deserves a tech visit, but I really don't think it's the match to the cab.

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    The Ampeg phone drone is a maroon. The cab is rated for 600 watts, it doesn't require it. Even with 450 SS Ampeg watts, that shouldn't be an issue. Pre-amp tubes might be an issue, though.

5. Jthakwvu

Jthakwvu

May 4, 2010
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm considering going down to the 410 or going up to the SVT 7.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    When I had my "temp" 3Pro (at least 3-4 times), each cab I used it with started farting out when it was cranked, b/c it didn't get enough volume. That's arguably Ampeg's worst head in my multiple ownership experiences. I'd look there first. Your cab should be fine.

7. Jthakwvu

Jthakwvu

May 4, 2010
    Forgot to mention that this is a factory refurbished amp with a warranty. So it will be going to a tech!

8. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    The guy on the phone does not know what he is talking about but it does seem like your amp has issues that need to be resolved. Send it back to Ampeg see if you can get your money back.

9. Have the amp fixed. The guy who told you that stuff on the phone was wrong in essentially every word he said!

The cab does NOT require 600W.

RMS does NOT mean "required power".

You are NOT underpowering - there is no such thing.

You have been massively mis-informed.

10. Jthakwvu

Jthakwvu

May 4, 2010
    I did purchase the amp from an authorized dealer, but unfortunately it is past the 30 day return period. There is a manufacturer warranty and they have told me where to take it to get it fixed, but it is still a pain in the rear and a major inconvenience.

11. And we wonder why the "underpowering myth" won't die !

Now we even have morons working for amp companies spreading it :rollno:

12. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    I have run my LMIII 4ohms/500 watts into an SWR Workingman's Tower that handle 800. Sounded killer.

Screw the Ampeg tech...