1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New here, newbie, new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dan85, Apr 30, 2009.

1. dan85

dan85

Apr 27, 2009
    Hi all!

I finally switched to the dark side... I have been playing guitar for 3 years now, but since the musical scene is pretty limited here and I do not want any treble finding a band, I decided to start playing bass :D

So, today I received my first one: a G&L Tribute L-2000, sunburst, with rosewood fretboard. (Artificial lighting + cheapo camera = bad pic ...)
    [​IMG]
    600€ ... quite a lot of money for a student, but I wanted something I could keep.

I really like all the sounds you can get from it. Furthermore, the onboard preamp is really silent.

It came already in tune and pretty well set up from the distributor. I just had to loosen the truss rod in order to have a bit more relief (I tend to play really hard ...). There is still some fret buzz, but I guess it'll disappear when the strings will become used.

The only thing which makes me wonder is that the low strings (mostly the E) sustain less than the other 2 ... the E fades away after roughly 10 secs, whereas the G can go on for days. I wonder if this is normal, not that I need that much sustain though.

Now I'll have to find a good amp, but since I'll be playing at home for a while (the time to develop some skills), I think I'll build a preamplifier first. I'll quickly throw a Flipster together ( http://runoffgroove.com/flipster.html ), maybe the one from Albert Kreuzer too ( http://www.albertkreuzer.com/preamp.htm ), but I'm open to any other suggestions :)

Cheers,

Dan

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Welcome. Thats a beautiful bass, I wish my first one was that nice. I don't have any helpful insight into the sustain problem but think it would be agood idea to build your own amp.

3. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    Man, that's a hell of a bass for a starter, you will be probably keeping it, lol

congrats!!!

about amps, I play with Hüghes & Kettner, they're awesome.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Way better than what I started out with. Congrats, get practicing.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

+1 and welcome to the forum!!!

6. dan85

dan85

Apr 27, 2009
    Thanks!

He he, after 3 hours of practice, it becomes difficult to type :D

7. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Than I would suggest spending the three hours playing the bass. Anybody can type.:p

8. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Nice axe. What type of music do you play? Will you get more work on 4 strings?

9. That's one nice first bass! :cool:

10. dan85

dan85

Apr 27, 2009
    :D

Rock to metal (Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Metallica etc.). There are many rock bands here, but the only offers are for drummers, singers, bass players or rehearsal rooms. :p

11. caillean

caillean

Mar 2, 2008
    east anglia
    Lovely first bass - awesome. Now, about typing - just put plasters on - or a real good computer wipe for the blood!!!

Welcome as well