Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New here!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Charles Shores, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    Hi everybody,

I've been registered here before, but I guess my account was deleted... "cshoresbass."

Anyway, I'm back now with my real name, I noticed a lot of people using theirs so I felt better about it.

I've been playing double bass for about eight years now, but I'm nowhere near as good as other players that have been playing that long...I only recently got into seriously playing and practicing. I started in 5th grade when the music teachers come around and give you a music test, picked double bass and stuck with it. Started bass guitar in 8th grade and got really good, for any age...I guess it's an easy instrument for me. I'm pretty bored with it right now. In 8th grade I also tried out for the middle school honors orchestra. It was pretty lame when I look back on it, probably because I was so nervous being around all those private lesson taking kids. I got 2nd chair, my (now) friend Kelly got 1st but I didn't know her then.

Then I got into high school and slacked off double-bass-wise. I started getting good on electric and joined the jazz band in 10th grade, barely knew any jazz, learned a ton and got a lot of compliments from guys in the band. Mr. Jones, my teacher told me I sounded black (that made my year, basically.) Took a few theory lessons from various people, including Cliff Engel.

Summer after 10th grade I got into Governor's School West for Instrumental Music...Best freaking summer of my life. We played 20 Century Symphonic repertoire and I was so interested in it. It got me used to rehearsal every day and not being good enough to play the music. I can post a list of pieces if anyone is really interested.

11th grade, tried out for western regional honors orchestra, got in, but they cancelled it due to tons of snow in the mountains. Got into all-state honors! and played there, I got 5th chair (Kelly got 7th) and rocked out! I had so much fun.

12th grade, tried out for western regionals, didn't make the honors orchestra because I only practiced for 2 days... I was an idiot, I'll admit it. I learned my lesson! I got the lower orchestra but I didn't want to go because people I knew said the music would be too easy.

February 2005, I tried out for North Carolina School of the Arts and got in! My teacher will be Lynn Peters from the Winston-Salem Symphony...I'm so excited. The only thing is I don't have enough money to buy a good bass and I can take out a lot for loans because my family has bad credit. :(

I'm still excited. When I finally do get that old bass, I'll sound that much better!

I've been practicing the Simandl method this summer, no teacher. I know I should get one, but I can't afford it, and I'll have one in less than two months, so I don't think it will hurt me. I managed to learn the Marcello sonata, a couple of Vivaldi sonatas and all positions and Simandl method stuff on my own. I'm planning on learning Bottesini's Grande Allegro after I finish all three of the Simandl books (I, II, and Etudes) I tried Dragonetti in the past but it wasn't musical enough to my ears to put up with the frustration that came with me trying to learn it (I didn't even know what position I was in back then!)

So that's my story.

Chad (Oh, my friends call me Chad, by the way.)

I forgot to add, I play a standard tuned 4 string with nyman's rosin on a french bow. I sit on a stool while I play, but that may change to a better chair or standing if my newly discovered back pain stays. I'm largely an ear player but I'm learning to better sight read and think what the intervals will be before I play them with my bow.

As you can tell, I love bass.

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Gee, where's everybodys manners? Welcome, Chad! Glad to see there's another player with the cajones to use his name-seems to make things a little more real and honest. Enjoy TB.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Welcome to the fold! Dont let the Edbugs bite...

4. - but on behalf of all self-professed anti-elitist plank-spanking snobs, I welcome you. My name is Steve.