1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Ibanez ARTB Series?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 60bass, Mar 24, 2009.

1. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Just took a look at the 09 Ibanez bass catalog. I find myself strangely attracted to the new ARTB basses. I love the look of the white one and the short scale appeals to me.

artb100wh.

The black looks nice too.

ARTB100BK.

Anybody seen / played one yet? If so any thoughts?

Keep Low :bassist:

2. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    They look great to me too, I'm also curious about how they sound and feel.

3. They look pretty thin, too.

Do you have a scale length on that?

4. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    30"

5. Swin

Swin

May 25, 2008
    Toronto
    Ibanez Freakazoid
    great bass, we have one in the office here that gets a lot of use.

6. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    At $429.99 street price, I'm going to start having a GAS attack for one of these :)

So many manufacturers are ignoring the 30" short scale market. It's nice to see Ibanez doesn't think that way.

As soon as one of these shows up local, I'm going to give it a SERIOUS look :bassist:

7. woo10

woo10

Feb 22, 2004
    If you forgive my ignorance, and the slight detour off topic, but why does anyone want a 30" scale bass? I mean wouldn't this decrease the string tension and the tone would suffer? And if the string gauge is compensated to make up for that, wouldn't this lower the volume.
    I don't have particularly large hands, probably even a below-average size, and I don't have any problems playing 34" scale basses.

Regarding the Ibanez, it looks awesome, also is the semi-acoustic version of it.

8. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I love the look, love Ibanez basses, have been wanting a les paul styled bass, but I wouldn't be able to deal with all the string flop on a 30" scale neck :(

9. I had a Gibson EB-O w/a 30" scale; it played & sounded fine. I'd imagine it(30")'s much more comfortable for some than 34" or 35".

10. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    I play the Ibanez artcore, which is a long scale, semi-acoustic arch-top version of this style of bass. It is a fantastic piece of workmanship, it has great details, sound, and build quality for its price that would put more expensive basses to shame. I can recommend an Ibenez to anyone who has never tried one. I for one will be checking this out when it hits the UK.

11. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    Long scale version? You might wanna check that again my friend because the artcore series is 30" scale as well.

12. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I also have somewhat smaller hands and can play a 34" scale with ease.

I think the reason Gibson went with short scale basses was to give guitar players a somewhat similar scale length to make them more comfortable switching from bass to guitar. Leo Fender went with the long scale to make double bass players feel more at home with the electric.

Soundwise a 30" scale bass can kick just as much as long scale (ask Jack Bruce). I've always felt the difference tonewise to long scale was easily compensated for with strings and amp settings.

I prefer long scale but playing a short scale bass is just plain :) FUN :) you can really rip on that 30" scale. I often jam out in the front room with or without headphones while my Wife and Daughter are watching TV or whatever. Having the short neck makes it very easy to just kick it in a big arm chair without having the neck sticking out getting in everybody's way.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that I just have to make one more decision ... Black or White :D

13. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I know the current ones are 30" scale but I thought they also made a long scale version at one time. I know I've played a short scale one and it was a very nice feeling and playing bass.

14. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    They made them for a couple of years with the 34" scale. These days they're all 30". I liked the older ones a lot more than the newer ones, but there's nothing wrong with the newer ones. I just prefered the long scale.

15. I was checking out a used SS hollowbody at Daddy's when I saw one of these on the wall. Tried it out as comparison, you know, ss vs ss, and I put it back IMMEDIATELY. I thought it sounded horrendous. Maybe it was the round wound strings. But I could find nothing appealing about it. Sorry. YMMV. Liked the look though.

Bill

16. Dertygen

Dertygen

Dec 21, 2008
    A-Town, Colorado
    I don't like white... but I'm liking that white...!

17. Any soundclips?

18. This bass looks a hell of a lot like a certain Hagstrom Swede I had back in the mid 70's...fast neck, heavy as hell! Wish I'd never sold it!

19. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I'd forgotten about those Swede basses. I had one of the Swede Les Paul style guitars and it was a great player.

20. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    I got a black one, new on Ebay from a music store and got it for 359.99 on the best offer deal. It's awesome! I got the Mikro and the ARTB100.