1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Nordstrand Precision pickup - NP4A

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lepew, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Lepew

Lepew

Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Looks cool to me. I hate tetris-block P pups, but if I had to have one, that would be a contender. Love my Big Singles & Big Splits!

Sent from my asteroid using Awesome

3. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Just installed a set. Review pending....

tedsalt and BassBuzzRS like this.
  4. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    any updates on these pickups?

5. Bassplayinfoo

Bassplayinfoo Commercial User

May 20, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I work at Nordstrand
    I can tell you that the NP4 angled poles are wound with the same wire and magnet load as the NP4. The main difference is the wider aperture because of the angled poles which theoretically adds more harmonics. I cannot tell much of a difference personally, but it's there. The most audible difference in the NP4 family is the magnet size IMHO. The NP4v has a smaller magnet load and has a more motown, Jamerson sound.

6. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Anyone try a NP4a with a Big Split in a PJ type configuration ? I'm thinking this might be interesting, especially with the NP4a in a reverse P config ...

Bassplayinfoo and ctmullins like this.
  7. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I'll try to get my son to do some sound clips. Put this one together today. IMG_8361-crop.

IMG_8363-crop.

Bassplayinfoo likes this.
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    wow, six knobs and two mini-toggles, all for one pickup!

what's going on under the hood there?

Doner Designs likes this.
  9. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Forgot to mention - Audere 4 band Pro-Z preamp. So, there are 4 active tone controls and the other stack is volume/passive tone. One switch is for Z mode switching and the other is active/passive.

This is my first P bass. Having the extra tone controls really adds versatility.

10. sii.pepenk

sii.pepenk

Jun 3, 2010
    Indonesia
    OOT, is this an original NP4A and big singles pickup? im not really sure cuz its pickup covers (especially the P), bobbins and Nordstrand logo on it little bit odd for me

and one last question, is there any branded bass using this pickup configuration?

1463762_919454304733848_5101812784969945717_n. IMG_20141225_230920.

11. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    They look odd to me also. Send an email with the photos to Nordstrand. They'll be able to answer that question.

Bassplayinfoo likes this.
  12. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Those are CND (Carey Nordstrand Designed) pickups from an Ibanez 650 or 750. They're OEM winds of Nordstrand pickups. I recognize those red bobbins and black glue from my very own Ibanez 655. You want to avoid that. They're not standard sized and will only fit another Ibanez 650 or 750, so I don't know why anyone is selling them.

THAT SAID, they sound amazing. The neck pickup, in particular, is spectacular. It makes flatwounds sound so sweet, it will bring tears to your eyes.