New nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Paracitik, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Hello. This is my first post on these forums and this seems like a cool place. Ok, I've had my Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass for about 8 months now. I haven't had a problem with it until about 3 weeks ago. I noticed that my E string (which is usually tuned down to d or c) keeps slipping out of the nut. I play with a pick most of the time and I play pretty hard, but I don't have this problem on any of my other basses (headstocks are angled back which creates more tension against the nut). I never had this problem until recently. I'm thinking I need a new nut, but I'm not sure. There's really not much visable wear or anything on the nut. Should I just get it filed down, or get a new one, or what? It seems as though my E and A are not angled down enough with the straight headstock as the D and G are. Anyway, does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks a lot in advance.
  2. Bass

Nov 10, 2003

How about mounting a t-shaped string retainer on the headstock to hold the E and A in place?
  3. Thanks for you response. Would that be a good idea? How would I go about doing that? Should I take it to a music shop and have them do it? How do I know where to mount it.. like should it be a certain distance from the nut, etc? Thanks so much.
  4. Abdul

Sep 2, 2005
    heres an easy cheap fix. get a new E string, but cut it much longer than you normally would before you install. This way you'll have extra string wraps on your post. ideally this should make your string come off your post just barely above the headstock. This would result in your string breaking over your nut much sharper, almost like haveing a string tee in place. This is what I do on my Wormoth 5 string, since I didn't do the worlds best file job on the nut.
  5. Thank you guys for your replies. Any other suggestions?
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would do the extra string tree. I have that on my american fender jazz deluxe.