New Optima RB Flats (old Maxima reproductions)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pantone 333, Jun 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Anyone try the RB Optima flats (nickel)? They come in .045-.057-.077-.100

2. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    Yeah, had these on my RIC for a while. They were cool. Not the smoothest string but I enjoyed the relatively lighter tension. Sound wise, i honestly don't remember in great detail. They died quickly and at the time I was wanting a more lively string for the RIC. I'd be curious to try then again... I think I still have them. I know that's not much help, sorry!

Pantone 333 likes this.
  3. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    I have. They're pretty decent strings, but unless you're in Europe, they're quite pricey. I notice you're a fellow Montrealer. Is there a store in town that's selling them?

I did make two videos demonstrating their tone (and yes, I suck at playing)

Playing improved a little here... sound demo begins at 4:12

4. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    I've tried them. Kinda liked them. Not the smoothest string, like @Coughdrops says. Nice, medium tension, and a well-balanced sound, IIRC. Well worth the money if you want to try them out.

5. I have not seen these flats anywhere in Montreal. I only recently found out about them online.

6. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    They get pretty smooth with playing. They are quite zingy when brand new, but they settle in quite nicely after a week or two of regular playing. The E string sounds deep, they do get moderately thumpy, but not as much as the GHS and Labellas. I only got them because a fellow TBer, @dannster, sold them for a decent price.

The best feature I could say about these strings is the consistent tone across all of them. For example, playing a 'C' on the A string versus the same note on the E string doesn't sound radically different (once the strings are broken in, that is) When foam or palm-muted they have more click than other flats I've tried.

If you don't mind paying 60 bucks a set in Canada (if you can find them, of course) I'd recommend them.

Klonk, Pantone 333 and dannster like this.
  7. woodyng2 likes this.
  8. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Oh. Those are the old Maximas redone and packaged of old. Not the same as mine, which are hex-core like most flats. Not sure if we Canadians can even get them.

9. WHOA. wild. so there are now 2 different optima flatwound strings. i need to buy these and check them out, i love roundcore flats.

thank you!!

Coughdrops and nerkoids like this.
  10. found this description. could be a great head to head with TI jazz flats

.045 .057 .077 .100 - Set / E-Bass 4-string

• Pure Nickel Flatwound
    • Round core, with silk inlay
    • Long Scale

OPTIMA RB FLATWOUND bass strings - For bass players who yearn for that old-school thump of the 50's and 60's, Optima has gone back in time to re-produce a flat wound bass string, which truly revives the feel and sound of an era... the way you remember it.

Optima has endeavoured to make the RB FLATWOUNDS authentic in every way. Constructed over a round core for increased flexibility and lower tension, the RB FLATWOUNDS are wound with a pure nickel flat wire, which is thenpolished to a high shine, resulting in a string that is both supple and comfortable to play. With the RB FLATWOUNDS Optima has created a flat wound bass string which echo's the classic tones of yesteryear. The core consists of the finest round steel with a silk inlay, the windings are wound of alloys specially made for Optima, and manufactured in the Double Wound process. Last but not least, the pure nickel flat wire which is being finely polished at the very end.

@Pantone 333 you might want to update the title of the thread to be New Optima RB Flats (old Maxima reproductions)

or something similar. these strings are very well regarded old strings.

woodyng2, Pantone 333 and nerkoids like this.
  11. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Calling @SLaPiNFuNK -- any idea if you can get these in eventually?

The irony is, we have a Canadian distributor, but they carry maybe only 3-6 Optima products in total.

12. nerkoids and Pantone 333 like this.
  13. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    I can't imagine it's going to be similarly priced to their regular flats.

14. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    Oh wow yeah not the ones I tried. Great... Another wad of cash out the door :)

nerkoids and markjazzbassist like this.
  15. Your attitude says no but your eyes say yes:)

nerkoids and markjazzbassist like this.
  16. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Stop it! First FrenchyQC with his SITs, now you with this! Enablers! :D;)

That said, yeah, I think I might need to eventually buy a set.

markjazzbassist likes this.
  17. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Pantone 333 likes this.
  18. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Ew, just checked with FedEx shipping (personally, would have preferred DHL, since they usually have better rates to Canada) and total combined, we're looking at close to 100 dollars CND. Too rich for my blood by this method.

19. chris merrill

chris merrill

Dec 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist for: GHS Strings, Lakland Basses
    Just ordered a set of the RB, going on my harmony H22. Hoping for strong thump light sustain!

20. I put a set of Optima RB flats on my Rickenbacker a little while back, and I dig the feel of them. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to play the bass through my amp yet, so I can't really comment on how they sound. But, strong thump and light sustain seems to be what they deliver. The E-string is especially thumpy. :)

chris merrill likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021