New P.A.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by toothguy, Mar 13, 2010.

1. toothguy

toothguy Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2007
    So, our powered P.A. head sucks.I have offered to front the money for a new one but the rest of the band seems luke warm to this idea at best. They talk about getting the existing unit repaired but can't decide on who to take it to. They just seem to accept the horrible P.A. as it is because "that's just how it is". This is driving me crazy because it affects every practice: bad sound, anger, frustration, etc.
    Has anyone else had to deal with anything similar? Does anyone have any thoughts on how this should/could be handled?
    Thanks.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Either buy it yourself and let them all know it's yours or split the cost with one or more of your bandmates.

3. +1.

Don't mention it, but they'll see how happier life is after this is dealt with :)

4. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Buy one for yourself. Do some research first and don't buy a POS.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    You might want to check out the "Being in a band" link in my sig. below. There's a whole section on PA/FOH issues.

Let us know how it goes.

6. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Can you be more specific - not enough power, not enough channels or features, in need of repair?

What brand/model is it, and what speakers are you powering?

Is this head being used just for rehearsals, or is it for gigs as well?
    Are you offering to buy the head outright for band use, or are you expecting them to chip in for their share down the road? This becomes tricky because, unlike the way most musicians treat their personal gear, IMO a PA should be treated like a business investment. A small PA is usually the cost of entry (to even just rehearse) for any band with vocals. The PA could be owned by one member, or the cost could be shared. Either way, members with a investment in a PA should be compensated for their investment when income starts coming in from gigging.

A serious discussion about this with the whole band is usually necessary, and IME many musicians don't even want to think about the "business" side of things. There has to be agreement amongst everyone as to how to proceed. If you go and upgrade things on your own it may or may not improve the situation, and you could just end up with more frustration for your money. At the same time, sometimes someone just has to take charge and do what needs to be done.

Have a band meeting and hash it out, see what comes out of it.

7. i f you own it i think it would be fair to assess a nominal rental per gig to the rest of the band,to offset repairs,and or eventual replacement......if you go for too much some might feel entitled to some equity.....if want to leave the band at later date,owning it yourself is a better option

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yup, if youre that concerned over your band's sound, and they are not, just buy the PA yourself and own it. Its always good to own a PA anyways, they actually can serve a lot of purposes.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021