New parent... TBC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Growler, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    Just confirmed with the team from The Bass Company... :bassist:

I'll post again next week with a review.

2. Thats a nice one

Love the wood pickguards on those TBC basses.

Have fun
  3. wow nice bass man, one of the first TBC i've seen that i actually really really like.

that one knob not on the pickgaurd is kinda throwing me off though
  4. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    I actually really like that tone knob where it is.
  5. beatiful! that neck is killing me with jealousy
  6. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Everything about that bass is beautiful. What kind of wood is that on the pickguard?
    Ill be looking for that review : )
  7. Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    It's a Swamp Ash body, maple neck (and fingerboard) and a Black Cherry pickguard.
  8. Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    So I recieved it this morning, it was packed very well, but it only went from LA to SanFrancisco so not much of a trip.

Anyhow, the finish is great, body is smooth, not shiny or high gloss and you can feel the grain through. Some of the areas in the body feel very thin due to the chambering. Compare it to a Fender-P and you'd think it was made out of balsa. Then again Fender-Ps are made like tanks.

It was set up nice and low by Darrell at TBC and was still in tune when I fired it up (Eden Nemisis 2x10 and a FullTone Bassdrive). The lows and mids are solid, not boomy and they don't resonate like I thought it would due to the chambering. Another reviewer said the highs were a bit much, which they are, even with the highs completely rolled off. But most of the stuff I play isn't up beyond the 14th fret or so. So far it's good for Funk and blues, and that's why I got it.

I'm still getting used to the thinner neck compared to a Fender-P, but its nice and fast. Very smooth. One thing I noticed is that on the side of the neck are 'fret dots' in addition to the ones on the fingerboard.

The cable jack is in parallel to the neck rather than at at 45deg angle like some others and the knobs are all in easy reach.

One observation I didn't notice until i put it down was that due to the shape of the body, which the left and right bottom curves are not symmetrical, my basic guitar stands (non-adjustable A frame style), don't exactly hold it as solidly as say a Fender-P which is symmetrical. No problem, stands are cheap.

Bottom line. The sound and variety of tones is great, the action and overall physical feel make this $400 bass feel like it was custom made by hand. And the weight, it might as well be made for a kid, as it weighs almost nothing.
  9. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US

Any chance of some sound clips, including ones that would demonstrate the highs still hanging on after rolling them off?
  10. Growler

Sep 26, 2004
    Sure, I'll work on some clips.

It's not so much that they hang around it's just that they are that much louder than the other, lower tones.