1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new pickups for the Fender Jaguar...???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by aeaves, Apr 26, 2009.

1. aeaves

aeaves

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Aguilar Amplification, JH Audio
    I came across a steal of a deal on a black Fender Jaguar for $375, so of course I bought it. i love the way it looks but i'm not crazy about the sound. It just seems a bit too boomy and muddy.

I'm looking to replace the pickups and grab a different sound. I am wondering if there is anyone that has a Jaguar and may have had the same problem and what you either replaced the current pickups with or what you would reccommend.

any suggestions....?

2. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    I have the Jag and i'm wondering about the pickups.
    I think I'm going to put Delano pups on mine, with a delano preamp.

EDIT: $ 375 is a really good price !

3. aeaves

aeaves

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston, TX
    yeah...when i saw the $375 I thought it was a joke!

4. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    How much money are you willing to spend?

5. aeaves

aeaves

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston, TX
    honestly...if the sound is worth it....I don't mind spending a little. espcially since I do not have a large investment in it at this point.

what do you have in mind?

6. jamesie

jamesie

Jan 11, 2009
    since friday the delano jc4 he/m2 (splitcoil humbucker) are in my jag - unfortunatly we could not built in sonar 2 because the potis in the jag are wrong (i had overseen that) - okay, the tone from the delanos - i can only say i like it very much - the jag is now a really good jazzbass and the neckpu alone goes a little bit in direction of a pbass and the whole thing is - i say "punchy but with fine toneculture", with other words - vintage meets modern - in my opinion they sound more like a singlecoil that someone would believe :)

for me it´s always hard to recommend pups and electonics because my taste and playing must not be your taste and playing, but from quality, sound, quiet and so on the delanos are worth the money (in this league they are cheap compared with some other brands) especially in europe (germany or austria)

7. I heard someone use seymor duncan quarter pound on the Jag.
    but on my Jag I plan to use Aguilar OBP sk 1 preamp on it.

8. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Lindy Fralin's or Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's.

9. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    You could try the stock pickups out of an SX jazz bass. Probably 10 bucks or free on here, the opposite of muddy and boomy.