1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Preamp Project: Standalone B15-N (with t00b!)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vostre Roy, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

Mar 22, 2012
    Sup folks!

Thought that this subforum was the best place to post this. Since I've put my Weber amp project on hold, waiting for me to get better with electronics, I've been getting into pedal building, wich I should had done before taking on a project like a whole amp. I've built two BYOC pedals (Octave Fuzz and Stereo Amp switcher) but found those to be too easy, you don't have to figure anything, just follow the pcb board. At that point, I thought that I'd hunt for a schematic from wich I could make my own layout and order the parts on an electronic parts supplier (those aren't noob friendly lol).

Someone on Weber's forum posted a schematic to build a standalone Ampeg B15-N style preamp, wich could easily be made as a pedal (doesn't have the correct switch to make it so at the moment) using a low profile, pcb mounted toroidal transformer. Here's the result so far. Nothing has been soldered, just placed the stuff on the board

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now the funny part. Since the supplier didn't hold metal enclosure, since no canadian dealers seems to hold any (according to my research) and since I didn't wanted to pay 20$ of shipping to get one from the states, I had to find a small metal box wich could hold the preamp. Is it christmas alread?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It misses the holes for the tube (wich will be on the top) and the on/off switch, I didn't bought the right bit size for them. I'll work on it this weekend, might be able to finish it even.

No clue why the last two pictures are so big, Imageshack seems to forgot the compress them the same size as the other ones lol

Cheers!

2. karter2000

karter2000 Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    That looks awesome! I'd like to try that circuit someday. Did you make your own layout? Where did you find the transformer?

3. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks buddy!

Someone over the Weber forum did the Schematic and I've then done the layout to my taste.

Every parts (including the Amveco tranny) was bought on Allied Electronics website (awesome service, I recommend them)

https://www.alliedelec.com/default.aspx

4. karter2000

karter2000 Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2005
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Thanks! Could you provide me with the transformer specs or part number?

5. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy

Mar 22, 2012
    Yup, its an Amveco 70001 PT, 2x9v to 2x120v