1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New revolutionary strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Avezzano, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    lucas303, tindrum and HaphAsSard like this.
  2. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Interesting....

3. moley6knipe

moley6knipe

Dec 18, 2018
    I’m massively intrigued. Gotta try these surely?

4. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Sound pretty good to me:

HaphAsSard likes this.
  5. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    Interesting but, I'll bet my next ex-wife's purse collection that not even one person in a thousand could tell the difference between different brands of round wound bass strings in a blind test. Especially when played in a live band setting.
    Maybe some sharp eared studio engineers could but not many others.
    B.

jd56hawk, Root 5, Gustopher and 3 others like this.
  6. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Hmm. I have some golfer's lead tape. I might try wrapping a very small piece around the strings I already have at the place indicated to see if it does the same or similar to stabilize the articulation. I agree with the traces in the video from watching my headstock tuner briefly flicker sharp when I intonate a note, then settle down. Right now, I'm not in the mood for paying $50-$100 for a set of strings.

7. RJI777

RJI777

Jan 29, 2020
    Scotland
    I must admit that the concept and availability of lumped bass strings attracted my attention pretty much because this is a very Scottish affair. As far as I know, the theory has been around for a few years, but it was applied to electric six string guitars. But, right now it's the availability of lumped bass strings, from Kemp Strings, that's new. Their URL is below.

Kemp Strings

I watched the videos, listened carefully, read the research and, yeah, I get it. Strings are important, sure; we all know that, but am I convinced? No.

Similarly, am I going to road test a set? No; at least, not on a bass. On a guitar, probably. Why?; having spent nearly 50 years using the same standard strings that Billy Sheehan, etc., use, I can't justify the expense. IMHO, the guitar strings have a reasonable price tag (circa. £10.00 GBP), but not so the bass strings i.e., £54.99 - £85.99 GBP.

Then again, maybe it's just me ...

8. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds like a regular bass to me. Not that I discourage development...anything that can improve our experience is cool by me. But I don't have much of a problem with inharmonicity as it stands.

10. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Absolutely.
    That's not the product of theirs being discussed here (i.e. lumpwound strings), though. To us, it just shows that the fella's been busy, trying to...fine-tune electric instrument strings.

paco facile likes this.
  11. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, this. Any minor upgrade in tone, if any, will be totally washed out when playing in most band situations. Maybe a high profile bassist doing solo pieces would benefit, but Brick House aint gonna sound any better lol

paco facile and BLDavis like this.
  12. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    If anyone is interested in visualizing the inharmonicity of your current strings, there is an Android app called TunerTime which shows you the tuning of not only root but also the second and fourth harmonic. It's quite interesting.

- John

Killed_by_Death and Gsnorgathon like this.
  13. McFarlin

McFarlin Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    A good target demographic for this sort of thing is the at-home hobbyist or "audiophile" type player, especially those flush with cash from their day jobs.

paco facile likes this.
  14. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Price ?

15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    One of the experiments we did when I was studying Acoustical Physics in college was a half unwound string - that showed how bad you could detune harmonics, should you want to do that. A tapered string is that same concept, but reduced to the point where it's not too bad - you get the benefit of a smaller string over the bridge (less damping of higher harmonics, so they sustain better) with minimal harmonic de-tuning. I happen to believe that's a good tradeoff, especially on a low B string. What this development does is undo some of the harmonic de-tuning, while still leaving a small string diameter over the bridge. I hadn't thought of doing that, but it does make sense from a Physics standpoint.

I see a lot of things where someone claims that "mad scientists" of one sort or another came up with some revolutionary improvement, only to look at is and say "well, that doesn't even make sense". While this won't cure cancer, it is nonetheless something that puts real Science to work - the theory is sound, it should work. I like it!

Note: Looked at the gauges. When they bring them out in light enough gauges for me, I'll buy a set, but not quite yet.

Jim Carr, BrBss and JTE like this.
  16. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    It is new so for now is an expensive experiment. A few years later it could be licensed out to manufacturers and used at very little extra cost, it is only a short section of thin winding on the core, simple and cheap.

It seems to me to have potential for large gauge tapered strings (B strings), where inharmonicity rapidly becomes a big problem up the fretboard. Also for very large gauge tapered strings (around F# and lower) where inharmonicity is even more of a problem.
    For higher strings i am less convinced, as this is like a tapered string: It deviates from the obvious ideal of a string that is uniform along its entire length. Although the inharmonicity may be improved, that deviation will still make it sound a little 'odd'.
    Besides, if you want to play high pitches it is best to do that on thinner strings like G, C (F, Bb ...), not on high frets on thiicker strings.

This cynical idea that 'a small improvement will not be noticed in a typical live situation, and therefore is pointless' is actually not logical.
    How good bass strings sound is the sum of many small improvements over many years, so small improvements are not insignificant. If your dismiss one you dismiss them all.
    The fact is that even those who make such arguments actually care about the sound quality of their strings, even if each of those small incremental improvements would be *consciously* unnoticeable in a 'poor sound live band situation'.

Therefore also, this is not just for 'home audiophiles'.

A small improvement may be *consciously* unnoticeable but is still actually unconsciously noticed as a small improvement even in a 'poor sound live band situation', instrument sound quality still makes a difference and helps, obviously.

Parts 1 and 2 of the paper are a very useful and informative summary of many aspects of string physics (you can skip over the more technical stuff).

Snaxster and BrBss like this.
  17. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
  18. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan