1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Rig(MB F1 & Epi310)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tastyfreise, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Tastyfreise

Tastyfreise

Jan 12, 2006
    Tahlequah, OK
    Well, I finally purchased a new bass rig. I have been using a Hartke 3500 and 4.5XL cab for about 10 years now and have been very satisfied with the sound. The weight of the rig (and GAS) has encouraged me to modernize. I have purchased a Markbass F1 head and an Epifani UL310 cab as a replacement. I cannot wait for my new gear to arrive and will probably lose sleep due to anticipation. Does anyone have this particular rig? I also purchased it without being able to hear the rig. I put in tons of research on this site before making my purchase.

Another problem that I have run into is I have a gig this Friday in OKC and don't have a guarantee that my gear will arrive by then. I'll be praying extra to get it here in time.

2. You will like that combination a LOT IMO and IME. Clean, wide, but still punchy. I run my F1 and my 410UL virtually flat, with the filters off and just a slight touch of upper mid redcuction, and it sounds GREAT! (very accurate and clean).

Post up when it arrives:)

3. Tastyfreise

Tastyfreise

Jan 12, 2006
    Tahlequah, OK
    I will post up when it arrives. KJung, your posts where some of the post that initially led me to this choice. Do you think the difference in sound between my old setup and new setup will be huge?

4. It depends. If you really crank the tube pre to grind a bit in that Hartke head, the F1 will sound much quicker and tighter and cleaner. Also, the 310UL will have a bit more going on in the deep low end, and a lot more going on in the upper treble (if you choose to crank the tweeter a bit).

Your new rig won't 'grind' like the 3500 is capable of, but it will be smoother, quicker, and more transparent. I'm pretty sure you are going to dig it. Just make sure to start out with the MB head 'flat' (i.e., the filters OFF), and then start to tweak a little bit.

5. Tastyfreise

Tastyfreise

Jan 12, 2006
    Tahlequah, OK
    Thanks for the info. I'm not really into the tube grind sound. I like clean and clear. I'm looking for a setup that doesn't color the natural sound of my basses to much.

6. I think you are going to be very happy!

7. Tastyfreise

Tastyfreise

Jan 12, 2006
    Tahlequah, OK
    Well, I received my F1 on Friday afternoon After I had already left for a gig so I didn't get to use it with my friends Genz Benz XB 210 cab. My Epi UL310 has not been shipped yet due to the Epi guys being in Germany. Hopefully I will get my cab this week and can use my new rig this weekend.

8. Post up after you get it. I have a couple of piece of TecAmp gear on the way that are also delayed by the Musikmesse thing. It's always tough to order around the time these trade shows are taking place.

9. Tastyfreise

Tastyfreise

Jan 12, 2006
    Tahlequah, OK
    Well, Two weeks have past and I still don't have my Epi 310 cab. I ordered through Van Gelder Music. Anybody have any experience dealing with Van Gelder? I havn't even tried out my F1 yet, it has been sitting in my computer room looking pretty on a shelf.

10. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    I used them once last year.....actually for the same cab......and I received mine within 2 days. Did they have it in stock, or did they have to order it for you?

11. Tastyfreise

Tastyfreise

Jan 12, 2006
    Tahlequah, OK
    I believe they had to order it from Epifani. It was supposed to ship out last monday. I'm not upset with them... I'm just dying from anticipation.

12. Good luck with everything. It's already been said, but I think you're going to be VERY happy with this combo. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts.

13. Tastyfreise

Tastyfreise

Jan 12, 2006
    Tahlequah, OK
    My 310 cab arrived today...WooHoo! I couldn't really give it a thorough try out tonight because of a meeting. When I got home from the meeting my son was asleep. I played it briefly before the meeting and was very, very impressed. I have a couple of questions though.

There is some hiss coming from the tweeter on the 310 cab. I don't know if this is normal or not. When I turn the tweeter down the hiss goes away. However, When I crank the tweeter up to full it doesn't add any additional hiss than what is present when the dial is in the normal position. Is this normal?

Also, when I shut the F1 off it makes a weird squeak (chirp) sound through the speakers. Is this a normal when shutting down the amp?

I really love the sound of the rig. It is very tight and quick sounding. I don't even need to mess with any of the controls. I love the sound of the amp flat.

14. The turn-off sound is normal with the F1 (capacitors discharging or something... some Walter Woods models due the same thing).

While the F1 is a very quiet amp, there is a very, very low level of background 'hiss' inherent in its performance. As you found out, this hiss does not increase with the master volume, and short of sitting right in front of the amp in a very quiet setting with the tweeter cranked up, you will never notice it.

Also, the optimum tweeter setting on the EpiUL's for most is between 9 and 10 o'clock (by optimum, I mean providing a balanced extension to the upper end of the driver without sounding clanky or harsh). At that setting, you should have zero issue with that very, very low level of noise coming out of the F1.

15. Tastyfreise

Tastyfreise

Jan 12, 2006
    Tahlequah, OK
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to give it a thorough tryout today during my lunch hour coming up in about 10 minutes.

16. Tastyfreise

Tastyfreise

Jan 12, 2006
    Tahlequah, OK
    Here is a pic of my new setup. I am very impressed with it. The sound is amazing. I can't believe the volume that comes from this rig. It should be capable of covering most of my gigging situations.

Attached Files: