1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New rig... orange vs gk comparison

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jawsh!, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Jawsh!

Jawsh!

Aug 21, 2008
    Central California
    Hey everybody!

i'm planning on updating my live rig soon, but i'm kind of at a crossroads on what to invest in.

the amps that have been really standing out to me are the GK 2001RB

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-2001RB-Amplifier-Head?sku=482514

and the Orange AD200B

http://store.guitarplaza.com/orad200waelb.html

I usually have been a fan of GK products, however, recently orange's AD200B has been looking really good. I actually was just at a show last night where a bassist from one of the bands was using it, and it sounded amazing. another thing that I have been thinking about is what cab to get. I'm looking for a good, sturdy cab that could hold up on the road. So far i've been looking at the Ampeg SVT-810E. But then this morning actually i heard about Orange releasing the new OBC810, which might be a possibility.

if anyone could shed some light on which head might be better, that would be great. Reading reviews only goes so far, and it's a hard decision. I love the warm tube sound of the AD200B, but i also love the versatility of the GK2001RB. Any comments or suggestions would be awesome, thanks a lot! :D

2. IMO GK all the way, including cabs. look at the new Neo cabs.

3. Tube warmth....GK Fusion 550 or in a couple of months the Fusion 1050 (basiclly 2001rb with the Fusion tube preamp). G-K is also prototyping a new NEO 810, rugged and under 100 lbs from reports.

4. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    For a bit more coin than the Orange, you could have this baby:

http://www.reevesamps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=50

The GK is a LOT cheaper than both of these. I'd say go for the GK.

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I own the O200 and the O115. I've also owned the GK heads and am a big fan of them too. They are completely different animals and which one you should get really depends on what you are after.

6. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    +1.... it's like comparing Apples and Oranges, they are two different animals.

7. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Really! Honestly you can't go wrong IMO but from what I hear they sound very different.

I have extensive experience with GK but zero experience with the Orange, so I don't really know what I'm talking about:D

Dan

8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Thirded, these are very different heads. Also, go to the used market, particularly for the Orange--you'll save a bundle, especially right now. The last AD200 went for $1300 on the 'bay.

9. I would get the Orange, you've already got a GK combo. Where I live the Orange is cheaper than the GK so I would easily get the Orange.

10. Well, more like GK's and Oranges :bag:

But +1, totally different beasts.

11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The Orange and their OBC15 cab produce the thickest, most pleasing tone I've heard. If you're willing to spend the $ and haul that gear, IMO it'll sound much fatter than the GK. However, as has been said above, it's all about what you like. You did say that you heard the AD200 live and loved it.....

12. Orange. But then again I have to admit im an all tube kinda guy. It doesnt weight that much, and wow is all I can say to the tone.

13. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Whatever you do, don't buy the Ampeg 810E, when the Bergantino NV610 is available on this planet.

I used to own one, and got rid of it when I bought my Bergie second hand.

I just played an 810E again is a shop, and I remembered instantly why I sold mine. It's a monster to move, and the NV610 sounds like the Ampeg wants to, and at all volume levels. The Ampeg only starts sounding its best when cranked, and has less of the clarity and tight bottom the old SVT cabs had. It's very punchy but is seriously lacking in other departments, like rich detailed mids, that will bring the best out of your all tube amp. The bottom end is woolly, too.

14. Id like to try a Berg but the UK prices are very high.

15. Not to mention they aren't very common, but I think they are cheaper than an SVT 810E new.

(it used to be, it isnt anymore, nm)

16. StudioLogos

StudioLogos

Mar 26, 2009
    San Diego
    Where do you live?

17. Location:
    New Zealand

From his public profile.

18. Jawsh!

Jawsh!

Aug 21, 2008
    Central California
    Thanks a lot guys. any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D

19. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    As far as tonal flexibility goes, the 2001RB is overall a better bet, but the AD200B has a solidly "vintage" tone that the 2001RB doesn't get. What sorts of tones are you pursuing?

As far as the GK option goes: if you're looking for something that's warmer, a bit simpler, and has two fully adjustable channels (instead of the dedicated clean and dedicated overdrive channels of the 2001RB), check out the Fusion 550.

I doubt you really need the power of a 2001RB. I used to own a 2001RB and gigged with it frequently. I paired it with a GK Neo 212, and never needed to turn it up much at all to get the volume I needed. I currently gig with a Fusion 550 and Neo 410, and as with the 2001RB, the Master Volume remains quite low for the sake of my bandmates' ears. :D

20. Orange. Hands down. I have the OBC 4x10 and 1x15. Best sounding cabs i have ever heard ONLY, if you can keep them it ear hight at all time...
    They do tend to be a bit muffled otherwise. But if it's mic'ed up, be fine. it's just if you can deal with it at a gig...

I just want a second one so i can use it's overdrive half way through a song :)

But really, i can't stress how good this head is, I don't know anyone who's been even the slightest bit disappointed with this amp.