1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Rig Week (Mesa Subway and Audiokinesis content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by strost, Dec 14, 2017.

1. strost

strost Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Last week I finally completed my dream rig. I picked up a used Mesa Subway D800+ over a month ago but had no cab for it (I've been using a GK MB210 Combo for 8 years).

After much hemming and hawing, I landed on an Audiokinesis Changeling 115 (C115). Luckily (and this helped me decide on this) Duke was mostly finished one and could get it to me pretty quickly. It's a bit heavier than I initially wanted but still a one-hand carry. Plus it's plenty loud for anything I might want to do. I'll never need a second cab.

Coming from a simple combo to a knob-heavy amp and switch-full multi-pluggable-port cab was pretty intimidating. It took me a lot of experimentation to get the sound I really wanted (though none of the sounds were bad). I realized I don't want to mess with the cab switches while playing with the band so I had to find a cab setting that made me happy, and then I could mess with the amp from song to song if needed.

But I've found it! This combination is amazing. There are two switches on the cab. One makes the mids "grindier" when up and one rolls off the highs when down. Both switches up makes a great tone that really sits well in the mix (though I prefer the midswitch down for the rare slap). When I want more bottom end, I just use the "deep" switch on the D800+. I also find the high pass filter to be very useful - especially in our small, loud tile/brick practice room. For my fretlesses, I set the D800+'s "voicing" knob to about 9 oclock. For everything else I have it at about 1 oclock. I boost both mids and set the low mid at about 11 oclock.

I am still learning but am very pleased so far. And the bandmates agree. We played The Chain tonight and the bass break sounded great. Much more clarity on the low notes. Very even sound with no boomy notes. And I can hear myself amazingly well.

So yeah, this will work. Thanks to everyone on talkbass for helping me learn about all of this!
    20171204_200704.

2. Wow. Sounds great. I'm in a similar boat. Anxiously awaiting my TC 112 AF, but looking for a great light weight head to add to it. The Subway Plus sounds like a great match.

strost and DukeLeJeune like this.
  3. strost

strost Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Quick update. While all my basses sound awesome through this rig, it seems to get along extra well with my Stingray HH.

lo-freq, DukeLeJeune and roccobass like this.
  4. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    imho the 3" Faitals are a key part of the secret sauce that makes these amps work so well - of course combined with Duke's crossover and other non-standard ideas like the slots in the top chamber.

Al Kraft, wave rider, strost and 2 others like this.
  5. Very nice! I'm currently looking at getting a pair of Changeling 112s to match with a Quilter Bass Block. I'm supposed to try out an Hathor 1203 soon just to get a general feel for AudioKinesis cabs before I order, but from what I've read on TB and your sweet-looking setup I'm very tempted to just e-mail Duke to get the ball rolling...

What genres do you play ? Do you use any effects (and how does the cab handle them) ?

Cheers,

François

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  6. strost

strost Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    I play primarily a G&L JB but also have a Stingray HH, a fretless P and a fretless G&L Kiloton. Band plays mostly rock covers. Stones, Petty, Fleetwood Mac, Black Keys, etc. Some soul and a bit of reggae.

An LB100 should sound great through this. More aggressive than fat though (but I'm sure you can dial in a fat tone).

My original plan was to get 2 12s (Hathor or Changeling) but this 15 was calling to me. Good luck!

Frank77 likes this.
  7. Thanks for the info!

I edited my post briefly after having a "duh" moment (the knob/pickguard seen on your photo were obviously from a JB, and you did mention the Stingray). I really like the idea of the rear-firing driver: Duke mentioned it helped getting a more "natural" sound for acoustic instruments (I do gig on upright very occasionally) but your comments tell me that this idea works equally well for other applications. I play mostly funk and some jazz, with the LB-100 most of the time, and the L-2500 on occasion.

strost likes this.
  8. strost

strost Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Hey All,

Just reporting back from my first gig with this rig! It was afternoon show (meaning we were asked not to play too loud - we failed). The bar we play in is about 60'x60'(?) There were between 30 and 100 people there during the gig (not counting our 10 piece band! - 2-3 guitars, keys, drums, harmonica, 4 vocalists).

G&L JB into a Mesa D800+ into an Audiokinesis Changeling 1533.

I ran the amp with Input a bit past noon and Master about 11-1:30. Bass and Low mid a bit boosted and High Mid and Treble about flat. Voicing about 1pm, HPF at about 9:30. Deep and Bright both down (except for one song when I hit the Deep).

I started out with all switches up on the cab but cut the rear firing mid half way through. I just felt like i was getting too much mids bouncing off the wall. I plugged one port out of 3. I think this might be just a psychosomatic thing. My old cab was boomy so I always feel like I should prevent that.

Volume - awesome. I could hear me. The audience could hear (and feel me). The drummer could hear me "too well". My rig is right next to him and I don't think he was used to the dispersion this thing puts out. He kept telling me to turn down (I did not, which led to him going out into the bar between songs to see if I was "too loud" - but I did cut the rear mid and cut the bass a bit). I used the "Deep" switch on one song (Tide is High by Blondie) and I think it was too much. I'll remember to cut the volume if I do that again. So this was a full mid-size bar with a 10 piece band and I was only at a bit past non on input and 11 on Master.

So my only gripe is that a 1203 might have been enough (at least for these gigs - we play outside a lot over the summer so the 15 might be nice then).

Tone - great. It just sounded right the whole show. I only adjusted my tone knob for different songs. A fiend who has seen us a lot said he really noticed a difference. He could hear me better.

All in all it was a great show and I'm really happy with the rig.

20180120_134048.

TrentB likes this.
  9. ajn

ajn Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the report. I also use a D800+, and with three different style bands play a lot of rooms similar in scale to what you describe. I went back and forth between getting a 15 or 12, but ended up ordering a Changeling 1203 Tall. From everything I've read so far here on TB, it sounds like it should be more than enough for these smaller venues. I'll find out soon.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    D800+ and a changling 112t is a very good thing.
    Yup

I’d imagine that with the 1533; it’s killin’ too.

Duke is a good guy doing cool things.

roccobass, 4StringTheorist and strost like this.
  11. ajn

ajn Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks, Chef. But here's my real burning question, and maybe Duke is the only one who can answer it definitively: Is it actually called a C1203T or a C112T ? It's being referred to by both those names here, and I think a cab that good deserves a name we can all agree on....

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Well
    I believe the official name is C112T-AF

That cab is basically a tall Hathor 112-T; the tall version, and the rear firing mid makes it essentially an Acoustic Friendly version of that. C denotes the Changling model line..make sense?

13. ajn

ajn Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Well, sort of, except that on the Audiokinesis website, the Hathor is called a 1203, not a 112. And doesn't the Changeling moniker, by design, already denote rear firing and acoustic friendly? So wouldn't the "AF" suffix be sort of redundant?

Hey Duke, what is this thing called?

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Changeling 112 = C112
    Hathor 112 = H1203

Add 'T' to designate the 'Tall' version.

TrentB likes this.
  15. ajn

ajn Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Short and sweet....I like it.