Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sigbass, May 25, 2004.

1. Sigbass

Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
    Alright, I was on my way home from school, and I turned around the corner and a giant brown box was sitting at my door. It was my Avatar B212. I later went to the local music store and got a Peavey Max 700 head. Both of these products really impressed me. The 212 can create some massive low end, smooth mids, and crisp highs. The horn on it sounds really nice, but I didn't push it past 12 o'clock. I got a 4 Ohm cab because I'm going to get a 4 Ohm B210 to round off my high end later. The Peavey head reaches full 700W at 2 Ohms. So I only run 475W into the 212 right now.

The head was much more than I expected. My bass teacher convinced me that Peavey was much better than people made it out to be. He was right. I went into the room where they keep the rigs at the store and got punched in the face with his tone (he plays a '96 Warwick Corvette). It's a really versital head, and there isn't a type of tone that I can think of that I can't get out of it. It's also very very loud. I was shaking the house on 9 o'clock.

If I can get some pics I'll be sure to put them on here.

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Congrats! That's awesome! You can't miss too badly with a powerful head and a few 12" speakers. And ya, I think that Peavey's gotten a pretty bad rep over the years, one that I'm not sure that they deserve. Sounds like your rig truely rocks, have fun with it!

3. Nice score man. Sounds like a rockin rig! I was going to get the Max 700, but saw it, and that thing is a monster but sure does sound good! So I'm still lookin around. But Congratulations man!

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    :D I'd say you still have plenty of power with just that set-up....and for most gigs that's about all you would need. Nice set-up too! :bassist:

5. Sigbass

Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
    Thanks guys, I'm really happy with it.

Does anyone know how to put casters on the Avatar?

6. Sigbass

Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
  7. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I put them on my B410...just buy heavy duty ones and screw 'em in on the corners of the bottom side...very nice for saving the ole back! :cool:

8. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i just got a new rig too...well not really, but i traded my ampeg b5r in for a qsc rmx 1450, and now run my traynor ts50b into that. my p-bass through that stack and a wall of tens is the best thing i ever heard.

9. Sigbass

Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
    But... there aren't holes aligned to the casters. Do I have to drill my own?

10. sheepdip

sheepdip

Apr 14, 2004
    Do it right! Remove the bottom speaker and in each corner of the bottom glue a piece of 3/4 to 1in. 4x4 plywood. Screw it in with a couple of screws, from the inside if you can. Reinstall the speaker and then install your castors at the corners. Yes, you will have to drill your own holes. You need the extra ply on the inside to make sure you have plenty of thread length on the screws. You will be happy later. :hyper:

11. Sigbass

Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
    Do I need to remove the speaker if the cab is front ported? There's a considerable gap between the bottom and the speaker.

12. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    no you shouldn't have to do that. If you use 1" wood screws you shouldn't have any problem with them holding the casters on---4 screws on each caster, screwed into the 3/4" plywood will hold plenty well. I've had mine on my 410 for over two years and it takes plenty of abuse. You can predrill the holes if you want to, it will prevent you from having one go in crooked. The key is putting on good quality casters that can take the weight and abuse from moving a cab around a lot.

13. Sigbass

Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
    Are the casters you can buy straight from Avatar good?

14. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I don't know...I would assume they would be perfect since Dave runs a great company and is all about quality. I got mine at ole Home Depot. Good luck with your project! :)