Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New setup for my '40 Kay M-1

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Nick Stephens, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Nick Stephens

Nick Stephens

Jan 10, 2005
    Just wanted to let you guys know about my new 1940 Kay M-1 setup (see before picture). I took a trip up to Greensboro, NC to Bob Beerman's Bass Violin Shop yesterday. Let me say that I thought this bass sounded pretty good before arrival but of course I was wrong. Bob replaced the old hardwood soundpost with a spruce one. He dressed the beautiful brazillian rosewood fingerboard (one last time since it is getting a little thin) perfectly. Fitted a new high quality bridge. He took off the old wood post end pin and put on a quality adjustable pin. Installed tail gut. Reglued a loose seam. Replaced the strings with Obligato's after working on the ebony nut. He did all this while my good friend Roy (who provided the van) and I visited the local guitar shops. This morning I was playing it in the parlor and I heard something rattling loud. It was my windows not the bass. The volume doubled and the tone is deeper. I'm amazed. Well worth the trip. Thanks Bob and Gael.

PS: Anyone looking for a bass needs to visit his shop. All of his basses are set up and ready to play.

Nick
    Roebuck, SC