1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New setup for my '40 Kay M-1

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Nick Stephens, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Nick Stephens

Nick Stephens

Jan 10, 2005
    Just wanted to let you guys know about my new 1940 Kay M-1 setup (see before picture). I took a trip up to Greensboro, NC to Bob Beerman's Bass Violin Shop yesterday. Let me say that I thought this bass sounded pretty good before arrival but of course I was wrong. Bob replaced the old hardwood soundpost with a spruce one. He dressed the beautiful brazillian rosewood fingerboard (one last time since it is getting a little thin) perfectly. Fitted a new high quality bridge. He took off the old wood post end pin and put on a quality adjustable pin. Installed tail gut. Reglued a loose seam. Replaced the strings with Obligato's after working on the ebony nut. He did all this while my good friend Roy (who provided the van) and I visited the local guitar shops. This morning I was playing it in the parlor and I heard something rattling loud. It was my windows not the bass. The volume doubled and the tone is deeper. I'm amazed. Well worth the trip. Thanks Bob and Gael.

PS: Anyone looking for a bass needs to visit his shop. All of his basses are set up and ready to play.

Nick
    Roebuck, SC