1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New short scale fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KrisH, Mar 1, 2008.

1. KrisH

KrisH

Nov 6, 2007
    New Jersey
    Arrived in the mail a few days ago (having been backordered for months), and I've been having some kind of fun with it every evening since:

ashbory2.

I've noticed that there is a lot of variance in available bass styles (i.e., upright/electric bass/guitar, fretted/fretless, 4-5-6+ strings, etc.). Why is that? Maybe because the instrument itself is relatively new and the design hasn't settled in to a traditional standard (other than the P-bass style)? What about the small, left-handed keyboards and foot pedal contraptions that play bass notes exclusively -- could they technically be considered "basses" too?

Here's a photo of my bottom end crew:

basses3.

2. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    nice EB-3! any problems switching from one scale to another?

;)

3. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Over the years, I've read a number of interviews with individual luthiers and instrument makers, and they all seem to say that bassists are far less conservative in their choice of instruments than guitarists are. In other words, guitarists tend to stick with the tried and true, while bassists are a bit more adventurous.

From what I've seen, I would agree that assessment – I'm hoping to see a slanted-fret, twisted-neck, Asbory-scaled, dual-coursed 16 string, whammy–barred, fretless/fretted, semi-acoustic, graphite-bodied double neck bass, with d-tuners for each string and a built-in Gizmotron/eBow! ;)

The most exciting innovations to come to guitar lately have been the seven-string (which was beaten to the punch by the five-string bass) and the self-tuning "Robot Guitar", which is.... well, I'll let you decide about that one.

:)