1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Solid State HD. Wow!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Apr 20, 2009.

1. So, I just got my new OCZ Vertex 60gb solid state hard drive in the mail today. After taking the time to update to the newest firmware, aligning the drive, and doing a fresh install of Windows 7, RC 7077, I am pretty much blown away. The differences in read times are amazing. Windows 7 loads to a usable desktop in under 30 seconds. Photoshop CS4 loads in about 4 seconds. The thing is pretty sick.

My laptop (Gateway P-y811fx) has two hard drives bays, and I have a 200gb Seagate Momentus 7200rpm drive for my data in the second bay, so the SSD is solely for the OS and apps. HD Tune shows almost a 3x improvement in transfer rates, and access time is 0.1 ms!!!

If anyone was considering the jump to a SSD, I'd definitely recommend the Vertex. It's way cheaper than the Intell drives, and with the new firmware, it's proven to be a great drive! :)

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    pppfffttt old news

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    oh and:

:spit:

4. No love for the SSDs??? Surprised. I know we have some geeks here.

5. I was contemplating putting a SS drive in my current PC. But I'm waiting for the prices to drop a bit.

Also, are there any/many 3.5inch SS drives out yet? (I know i could use an adaptor, just wondering tho).

Have a SS drive in my netbook, fires up linux in under 20 seconds :)

6. Hmm. Tempting. I could load XP on one and use my 640 gigs of HDD for Revit, Spore, AutoCAD, the Gimp and that other crap thats on there.

7. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY

8. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    ^^ Clarification.....That was a JOKE. :atoz:

9. SSD's are awesome - be sure you check the MTBF's to get an idea on life expectancy - less indication when they start to fail- can't wait to try one! Schweet!

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    610xil3vl9.

11. I would like one. However, they are simply to expensive to use as primary hard drives for me.

I have a 240gb 5400rpm in my laptop right now. Ubuntu 9.04 boots to the login screen in about 30 seconds and a functional desktop after ~20 more seconds. Vista with its almost full partition takes minutes to be usuable. That is my only gripe with Vista.

12. Are these only available for laptops?

Take a look at this:
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2238

I ran through most of these tweaks. Both boot time and shut down time were dramatically improved. Overall performance has improved as well.

For instance, if you have a multi-core processor Vista, by default will only use one core when booting into windows. You can change it to use all/both of them.

EDIT:
    The PC Stats guide also addresses a common Vista HD hog. The page file sys.(virtual memory)

Vista will manage this page file system how it sees fit and clog up your hard drive. You can go in and set it to a fixed amount and also move the page file system to a different partition. For me it was a total of 9 GB on my C drive.

13. I clicked on this thread thinking it was about Solid Snake :atoz:

14. If I understood any of your post I would be happy for you. I think. :)

15. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    If I needed to get an extra HD, SSD would be that way I would be going. I have to fill my laptop first. 128G to go.

16. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    If i had 200 bucks to drop on a hard drive, I'd have one of these by now.

17. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Tubes sound better.

18. I am waiting for the prices to drop and then I'm grabbing one. I've heard nothing but great things about SSD.

19. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    i wish that website would tell me how to do all those things instead of just telling me the names of things that will make my pc faster.

20. click on next page.

btw thanks chunk-o-funk