1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NEW SONG ! ! ! My most worked on song yet! ( need feedback! )

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassAddict05, Sep 5, 2008.

1. bassAddict05

bassAddict05

Jan 1, 2005
    Seattle
    hello everyone,

after many nights I have completed my first track of the now in progress next album. It's a new start and hopefully you get to check out the track and absorb the energy that I put into it.

the track is called
    ' Modern Life Block '

This is the most time consumed , produced , worked on song yet, hopefully you hear that . So you know its serious...haha

please check it out if you have time and leave feedback .

Thank You Thank You

http://www.myspace.com/citizenpolak

- Citizen Polak ( Maciej )

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    It sounded pretty cool and you have quite a lot of interesting ideas, but I sort of waited for the song to "start" at some point until I realized this wasn't that kind of music. However, I would personally enjoy the music more if it would have longer parts with a steady groove and perhaps more solos. It changes too quickly now for my taste. You could perhaps make 10 songs out of the different parts in this song if you stretched the parts a bit. :)

On the other hand, I'm not really into "experimental" music like Yes, or this band I saw live a while ago: http://www.myspace.com/brownvsbrown. It's just not really my thing, so don't listen too carefully to my opinion. I would probably check you out live though if I had the opportunity (and if you get a band, I assume you played all instruments here yourself, right?) because it's not as spaced out as that band was. They were even more spaced out live than their Myspace page give the impression of.

Your music definitely has an audience, but it's not music for everyone. I would suggest you assemble a band with some good musicians and play some live shows. I guess jazz clubs would be the most suitable place for this kind of music, even though it isn't jazz.

Hopefully you don't interpret this as I'm flaming you because that's absolutely not my intention. You play very well, and I like the sounds you're using (except the drums perhaps), it's just the style of music that isn't completely my thing.

3. 4stringrob

4stringrob

Jul 16, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    I liked it, some nice guitar & bass interplay going on. Now just add a mic to your equipment list and add some vocals! ;)

4. bassAddict05

bassAddict05

Jan 1, 2005
    Seattle
    i see . yea I def do dig those kind of bands, im glad you can see the influence. Big fan of King Crimson.
    Anyways ultimately my goal is to assemble a band. Get things rolling. Had side prjoects here and there.
    I def appreciate the constructive feedback, thanks man

5. Funkalicious. Good work!

6. I liked it. I don't have any constructive feedback but I thought it sounded very tight.

7. bassAddict05

bassAddict05

Jan 1, 2005
    Seattle
    thank you all! anyone else?

8. I liked it. Very nicely done.

You also sold me on the Squire '70s VM jazz.

MM

9. I like the tune lots, very cool...can't say I care for the drum track though, it's too "plain and bland".

10. bassAddict05

bassAddict05

Jan 1, 2005
    Seattle
    aha im glad i sold you on that bass, its truly a great one. ( squier owes me money now)

and thank you for checking it out , I appreciate it much.

Plain you say? Well I mean its the best I can do right now iwth the reason drumming.

11. WRBass

WRBass

Dec 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx.
    It's very good. The mix is great. I just kept waiting for a repeating theme and never found it. If I listen to it a couple times I may find it. It's just a style I'm not used to.

12. Drum machines are used all the time these days, and have been for a while (80's). The trick is to try to make them sound real.

A few tips: (if your DM will allow these functions)

- Don't make all the hits the same volume/velocity, especially with high hats and rides...that's how some drummers get neat grooves, but altering dynamics.

- Offset Kik and Snr hits forward and back (by milliseconds), this will make it sound a bit less robotic.

- Throw some effects on them.

- If possible, consult a drummer and ask him/her what they would play in a song like this.

Hope this helps.

I love the drum machine work in Gowan's Criminal Mind. (1985)
    Very similar drums to what you're going for in your song.

13. bassAddict05

bassAddict05

Jan 1, 2005
    Seattle
    cool cool cool. I def appreciate those tips.
    Def will take into account next time around. THnak you for listening everyone

14. thycrusader

thycrusader

Apr 21, 2008
    Thats pretty solid tune. I really dig it.

15. bassAddict05

bassAddict05

Jan 1, 2005
    Seattle
    cool . glad you dug it man. :bassist:

16. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Personally, I found it to be boring.

However, this isn't my type of music to begin with. The mix sounded good through my studio headphones. Nice bass tone and sort of a vintage vibe to me.

17. bassAddict05

bassAddict05

Jan 1, 2005
    Seattle
    hmm i see i see. Yea glad at least you dug the mix. Def was going for that vintage vibe. Thanks for checking it out man

18. Modo74

Modo74

Aug 7, 2007
    Auckland, NZ
    Good mix and tone, but not as listenable as some of your earlier stuff.

I suppose this particular tune just not my bag, but experimentation is the key to development, and you're certainly experimenting! Keep it up.

19. bassAddict05

bassAddict05

Jan 1, 2005
    Seattle
    a few people have noted that as well haha.
    But experimentation is the key, that is the truth.
    Next song though, very mellow, citizen polak, youll like it I think