1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Spiro Orchs: E Volume?!?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by hdiddy, May 4, 2006.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Just curious, can anybody tell me if the Orch E get louder as it breaks in?

I took off my Animas :eek: and put my virtually new set of Spiro Orchs back on last night. The Anima's were getting a little too "pingy" sounding in the higher registers. I just wish the Spiro's had the same "oomph" in the lower registers that the Anima's did. I like the consistency I get from the spiro's.

Kept the string heights pretty high and right now I'm getting a sound that's much like Steve Swallow's electric sound. I assume they'll mellow out but right now the E string isn't as loud as the rest. It's kinda weak sounding and made me start string shopping.

I'm going to try to resist changing strings and let these settle in but would appreciate any comments on the E.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I think so, or at least they create the impression of getting louder. The sound, to my ears, balances out and "widens", for lack of a better word. Seems like more of the fundamental comes out, and I believe that they actually do get louder. The contrast is probably more evident since you're coming from the huge sound of the Animas.

3. Right. I suggest the verb "deepens".
    At first, much energy is spread in the higher harmonics, and as the strings settle and age, that energy goes toward the bottom of the spectrum.

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Yeah no kidding. It was kinda hard taking the Animas off. They had such a great sound for walking to me but the pingyness was just enough for me to go for the "grass is greener" thing.

So far the spiro's are super bright so hopefully they'll mellow out bigtime. If I don't get some decent thunder coming outta the spiro A and E, I just might put the Anima A & E back on and mix it with the spiro G and D. :eek: That'll be weird.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I did the same thing earlier this year. Grass is greener indeed. I'm back on Animas now, but Spiros are undeniably great. One of my favorites.

6. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I just put a Spiro orch E on my Christopher hybrid mixed with Flat Chromesteels. The Sprio E is louder than the FCS E was and has improved, as in "deepened", over the past week of very light playing.

I only play out at church, and I've been subbing on guitar more than bass the past couple of months. I feel like I am cheating on my upright . . . :bawl:

I bought a Spiro A on-line last night that I'll try when it arrives. So far I am pleased with the sound of the E and how well it mixes with the FCSs.

7. appler

appler Guest

I use a Spirocore E with D'Addario Helicore Orchestral A, D, and G and after a few weeks they balanced out nicely.

8. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY

I'm pretty sure that's the combination that Martin Wind uses, and it sounds great.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That might be cool. I personally like the sound of the Anima D&G, but it certainly would be an interesting mix. I wonder, though, about the difference in tension.

10. I would wonder if you just got a bum string. The spiro E is IME typically the loudest of the 4 in the set, assuming a good bass and setup. Or possibly you are equating loudness with "more fundamental" which could explain why you perceive you are getting more from the Anima E.