1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Strings Day of a Show?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Okcomputer9, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Okcomputer9

Okcomputer9

Apr 16, 2010
    Hey everyone, my band is playing our first show tonight in about seven hours and I am debating slapping on a fresh set of strings before the gig.

I've had my current set on for about three months and they have lost quite a bit of tone. Would it be wise to get a fresh tone for the show or too risky, as new strings tend to go out of tune quite frequently?

Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I've done it with some D'Addarios after I got a setup on my jazz once - I didnt have tuning probs, but the bass was a lot brighter that I was used to, so I had to set my EQ differently, and the strings had that bit of "new grit" to the feel of them for most of the set...I probably wouldn't do it again, but you'll be fine,

3. LowEnd88

LowEnd88

May 21, 2009
    Winnipeg
    i've done it lots. Just make sure you play it for a while and re-tune a few times prior to the show. If you don't your just asking to be way out of tune through the set

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Depends on your style of music. If you like and need hte high end Zing, then go for it. But if not... be prepared to roll off the tone knob.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Personally, I wouldn't do it, but I'm a fan of mud!

How long are you playing for? If you're doing 45 minute sets, sure thing, just check the tuning. If you're playing for 2 hours non-stop, I don't think I'd do it if I were you.

6. johnboy65

johnboy65

May 22, 2009
    I change strings the day of a show all the time.

That said, I don't think you should. It's your bands first show and it's just one more thing to worry about. Leave them on and have fun. I promise that nobody's going to say "that band was great, but the bass player had old strings!"

7. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Yeah, I change my strings at least once every 2 months while actively gigging, and usually right before a show if I can. I love that 'zing'!

I use Rotosounds and never have any problems with staying in tune on a fresh set.

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    New Strings Day of a Show?

Chris Squire with Yes did this for every show back in the 70s. I don't know if he still does.

9. This, 100%.

10. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    If you're worried, change them a couple days before the show, and you should have absolutely no problem.

11. superhand

superhand

Sep 14, 2009
    Fresno, CA
    Once you stretch them out really good they should not lose there tuning too much. I would be more concerned about your tone. If you like that extra zingy new string tone then it won't be a problem. I personally don't like the sound of brand new bass strings. There are just way too many overtones competing with the fundamental frequency, for my taste.

EQ can help but I like to get the tone I want out of the bass itself and keep the EQ kind of minimal, sometimes even completely flat. I think that gives you a more natural sounding tone.

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If its with the same brand, make and gauage as youve been useing. Its ok to do. Otherwise Id wait till after. Since could otherwise need small truss rod tweak or other action change. For first gig, Id say no even if same strings. Just raise the treble around 6k a tad if wanting more top end zing. Dont need to be thinking about new strings for first show. Hope your gig goes well for the whole band.

13. I don't even LIKE strings until they've been on for more than three months!

To me, you should install the strings at least a couple of months before you gig with them.

Unless you're Sam Bolle, Dick Dale's bass player - he installs new Dean Markley Blue Steels every day before the gig. Bright? Yessir.

14. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    For 1 to 3 nights in a row, always.

15. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Yeah. Get in a time machine and travel 2 days back in time. :smug:

16. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    some new strings are way too sticky.

17. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Hahaha, don't get me wrong, I'm a 'day-of' kind of guy myself, but if the OP is worried about it, 2 days of moderate playing should be more than enough time for the strings to settle in.

18. I try to do it a week or two before a gig, it breaks 'em in an still has that zing.

19. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    I don't like strings until they've been broken in. Too tinny and bright...gotta play on 'em for a little while IMO.

20. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    7 hours? Sure. Make sure to stretch them really well, and if you have a floor tuner, mute yourself between every song and check tuning.

Usually, about 24 hours before the show, I pull my strings off and soak them in denatured alcohol. A few hours before the show, I pull them out, wipe them with a clean, dry rag, put them on the bass, and tune them up. At the show, I re-check tuning, wipe them off again, and go. It cleans them to the mildly-broken-in stage and I don't have to worry about stretching them out.

Plus, saves $$$.

I always change strings before recordings, though.