1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Strings Day of a Show?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Okcomputer9, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

+1

If you're that nervous about it then don't bother, but I love new string zing and have changed strings the day of a show plenty of times. If you know what you're doing and break 'em in a little then you shouldn't encounter much (if any) drift.

2. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    While I agree with most of your post, I dont agree with whats in bold. Raise the treble all you want, it still wont have the 'zing'.

Back to the topic... If you do it right, you can change strings 30 minutes before a show. I've done it countless times. You just have to be sure they're stretched.

3. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    I personally prefer the sound of slightly settled in strings, I am not a fan of that new string zing. I change my strings a few days prior to a show.

4. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    I wouldn't do it but I hate the sound of brand new round wound strings. I like them to nice and broken in having lost some of that brightness after being played for a week or two.

5. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I seriously doubt anyone but you will be able to audibly tell the difference between new and old strings, or different brands or models for that matter. Most rock type shows I go to you can simply tell there's bass there, but can't really pick out much else once it's set in the mix, EQed by the sound guy, and pumped through obnoxiously loud subs, then reverberated through the tiny, misshapen, usually cement or brick bar/club.

6. russellmania

russellmania

Mar 25, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Personally, I'd wait til after the show, especially since it's your first. It also might give you a certain level of comfort keeping everything consistent from practice to the show.

That being said, as long as you have a floor tuner, there really aren't any reasons not to do it, especially if you like the sound of new strings.

7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I played with a guitar player that would literally be clipping strings before walking on the stage. Of course, there was endless tuning going on!

8. Meatbass

Meatbass

Apr 30, 2010
    Frazier Park, CA
    When you put on a new set of strings, tune them to pitch (be careful not to go past pitch), stretch them, play the hell out of them, stretch them more, then tune to pitch. Keep repeating being careful not to tune past pitch and everything should be all ready to go.
    Just as long as the strings are all stretched out and you haven't tuned past pitch, you wont go out of tune. I've done this for years even on show days.

9. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    If you don't like it, don't do it again.

It's a simple game, really.