1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New strings for a Tribute L-2500?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Demon, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Hey, iwas wondering what strings you could recomend for a tribute l2500? My tone was kinda deadish and didnt have any characteristics, and spideyjg said it might be cause of the stock strings, so i guess ill try some new ones. So what can you recomend? Also, since the l2500 can have strings through body and through bridge, will it affect my string purchase cos of length?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    D'Addarios!

I string through the bridge on the B and the E and thru the body on the rest. It sounds GREAT.

3. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Arent there alot of D'Addarios:)?

Also, i thought going through body needed longer strings. But doesnt through body make them tighter and give more tension? Shouldnt it be the other way around then? E and B through body:p?

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Black beauty's

[​IMG]

5. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    How much do those cost?

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    D'Addario XL's. And no, tension will not change. Feel does. But the taper at the end of the string does no go past the nut when you are using it's extra length going through the body. That's why I do it that way, and it sounds great!

7. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ok, whats the difference in feel between through body and through bridge?
    EDIT: Cant find any DRs around here:( So, D'Addarios it is i guess, unless someone comes with something better:p

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If you want to string through the body on all strings you'll need the super long set like these....
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DAddario-EXL1705SL-5String-Bass-Strings?sku=100268
    If you string through the bridge you can use the regular long scale ones. BUT you might want to check out the thread about the bridge getting pulled off someone's Tribute model when the strung through the bridge. I'll do a search ad see if I can find it.
    BTW I use the D'Addarios and love them on my G&L L1505 and L2500 (or at least I will when it gets here)

9. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    That sounds scary:p Ill go through body. Only problem is ill have to convince my dad to get them, since they cost 80bucks here and i already owe him about that much:/

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The pulling out thing worried me, too. I may look into modifying my bridge to have bolts on the baseplate... That is mostly why I decided to put the A, D, and G through the body. That, and the taper of the strings doesn't sit above the nut when the B and the E are through the body. But I LOVE the tone of those strings, so they are totally worth it.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wow, 80 bucks? I don't know the exchange rate, but I pay about 15 bucks locally.

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Get the superlong ones. They're worth the extra money.
    Also I didn't think the stock SIT's were all that bad.

13. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    An ibanez GWB35 costs about 1600 dollars here, while in the US its around 500-700:p Just as an example-.-

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wow, that kinda sucks. Well, maybe you can do the alcohol string washing I do to save money. It works quite well. You guys using the Kronor there?

15. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Svenska Kronor, yeah. But you sure washing them will help? I got the bass a few days ago:p

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Some basses just come with dead strings. Denatured Alcohol, or methylated spirits are a good way to clean them. I generally soak them for a few days and they come out nice and bright and clean. Just watch out, the stuff is flammable (obviously...).

17. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Will try that. Do i just fill a bucket with the alcohol and put the strings in and leave them about 3-4 days?

18. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Not a bucket, just a plastic food container, one that can handle alcohol without damage. One with a lid, because alcohol evaporates easily.

19. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    not sure i have a food container. What else can be used?