Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new strings trouble

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pschaafs, Nov 5, 2005.

1. pschaafs

pschaafs

Aug 27, 2005
    Sacramento
    what did I do wrong? I'm a newbie here, changing bass strings for the first time (.49 -.109 flats). As i began to tighten the strings, they would snap at the post and as tension increased come apart around the post. I didn't think they would come to pitch but for the moment they have. However, the string around the post looks horrible. I don't see them lasting long in this condition.

2. pschaafs

pschaafs

Aug 27, 2005
    Sacramento
    Well, these strings don't look like much on the post, but they play and sound really nice, and are staying in tune. I think I'm down to the core wire on the post in places, but it seems to be holding.
    Is this kind of string disintegration at the post to be expected with fat flatwounds ?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No, it happened because you didn't give the strings enough windings to go around the post a couple times. Got to give them a good 2-3 windings around the post. And never cut them down to where the main string part is.

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Pictures would help. Tuning machines are subjective and newer models wind easily and accurately but some older models, especially, don't keep in tune and don't wind very well.

-Eric.

5. pschaafs

pschaafs

Aug 27, 2005
    Sacramento
    Actually, I have at least 2 windings on each post. Instead of bending neatly at the point where the string goes into the hole, the outer wrap separated and disintegrated.

6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    If you cut your strings to length you should first make a 90 degree bend about half an inch "downstring" from where you're going to cut it. This will prevent the wrap from unravelling as the string is brought up to tension.

Here's an illustrated step-by-step description of the procedure: http://www.bassstrings.nl/stringinstall.htm