1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new Strunal user :)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by T-34, Jun 21, 2007.

1. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Received it today:

582465092_b0f8771f96.jpg

582475014_32efe5a47e.jpg

582216773_8abe95ee43.jpg

582223061_0b38401f26.jpg

New strunal "5/35" model, 3/4, hybrid (carved top), brushed spirit varnish.
    Happy Me :)

2. Very nice shape. I'm a sucker for those gambas.

Enjoy,
    S

3. I've heard good things about Strunal from a local player who has played one for a number of years. I'm pretty sure his is the same model. I tend to favor the Gamba shape also.

That bridge set-up looks really good in the photos. I think that's the same bridge that I put on my bass. Is it a Despiau? Are you going to leave it without adjusters for a while? I didn't put them on my bass right away and after checking my string height for a whole season I found I really didn't need adjusters, and it certainly looks better to me without them.

4. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    Wow, you didn't need to adjust your bridge down in Hot-lanta? I would have thought with that humidity, you'd be adjusting every 6 months.

+1 on the gamba. Nice Strunal...i have basically the same model but with the thick goop shellac finish. Would love to get it refinished but don't know who might do it in the Chicago area.

5. I don't want to hijack the thread, but just take a moment and admire that bridge without the extraneous seemingly obligatory hardware. It's just gorgeous.

I did get some adjusters right after I got my bass, because I figured when the weather did the tailspins that Atlanta is known for, I'd have to install them. But I'm pretty busy and tend to put off what can wait, so I just kept waiting and the anticipated change never materialized. It did change a little, perhaps 1 mm., but I only knew this because I was measuring. In the second year, the change was even less;- more like 0.5 mm. So I just don't think I need them. Perhaps we tend to install these a bit prematurely and should give the instruments a season or two to settle in? My bass is a 4/4 fully carved one too, so you'd think it would have the extreme of this problem. So far so good. And just look how beautiful this instrument is without them. :)

582216773_8abe95ee43.jpg

6. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I have a Strunal Model 50/4 laminate bass.

Made a few minor upgrades and I am very happy with it.

I've gotten a few compliments on the sound also.

Enjoy!

7. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    What kind of strings are those? I've never seen them before.

8. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    These are the Presto Ultralights (http://www.presto-strings.com/), made in Germany, nylon wound over the steel rope core, with the "look and feel" of gut strings. The shop I ordered the bass from (www.thomann.de, huge European online music store), asked for the strings and set up preferences, I decided to try the Prestos as I like smooth feel, low tension ans Paul Chambers tone :)

The bridge is just the basic noname one but nicely carved and set up, the shop did it just right. I don't think I will need the adjusters, there where I live the climate changes over the year aren't too big. I'll wait a year or too before the wood sets in.

Time to get the teacher :)

9. Nice bass, Strunals are great basses. I have a 5/35 too and really enjoy her. Aren't those strings D'addario?

10. That is a fantastic set-up job for an instrument purchased over the Internet. Very few suppliers do that well, most not at all. The proportion of leg to wood looks perfect. Those bridges don't have to be that expensive. They make several grades and the shape is the same but you might need a magnifier to read the stamp. What I am seeing is the "rays" or the figure of the grain in the maple when it is cut in the proper orientation. The shape is identical to the Despiau in the heart, the wings, and it the "catchers" on the legs. Your photos are very well done also. My favorite bass photos in a long while.

11. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region

Non, In US they are imported branded as "Eurosonics" , in Europe they sold as "Prestos"

12. Ken Smith reviewed those strings recently and likes them.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021