Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New to bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by reikiman, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Any bass will work fine to learn on. A lot of people will tell u to buy the bass gear separately. Might be a little more expensive but you'll get better quality. Won't be bad at all if you consider getting a used amp and bass *shrug*

Between the two I am personally keen on the Ibanez neck profile and also the multiple pickups will probably give u a little more tonal variety.

Good luck with whichever one u choose.

2. i learned on an ibanez gsr200. i started with a austin p bass but didnt like the neck so i traded it in on the ibanez. i agree with the above post the ibanez neck profile is alot better. if it was me ide get the ibanez. if there is a guitar center near you play them both. youll know what feels and sounds good to you. good luck in your search, mike.

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
  4. I'd say go for a slightly higher level bass. Nothing deathly expensive, but not a cheapo like those either. I think that if you start on a crappy bass, you'll never find the good tone you want out of it, therefore you'll get frustrated with it, and be less dedicated to play. You wont be having fun because no matter how you try, you sound like sh!#. So I say look on ebay, and in your local shops for some used basses. You can find some used, higher level Ibanezs out there for 300-500, when even used they sound like 800-1,000$ basses. There's Jay Turser, which makes decent level basses for 150-400$ (www.musiclandcentral.com)

There's even SX that go for around 150$ or less, that are just as good as MIM Fenders, and for that, you can afford to upgrade them.

And whatever you do, do NOT go for the Ibanez, unless you have really small hands and weak fingers. It is, I think, a 30" scale neck, which makes it aboust as short as a guitar, and the frets are rediculusly uncomfortable. They are almost unplayable.

And as far as amps go, there are plenty of choices. You could just get like a crate 50 watt, or a cheaper fender, both between the ranges of 150-300. This would raise the cost more, but again, you want to sound better. So think, 200 bucks for an amp, around 150 for the bass if you go the SX or Jay Turser route, that adds up to about a hundred more than what you were gonna pay, and a HELL of a better sound.

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Another vote for Ibanez here. Okay, let's face it; they're both cheap basses. However for someone starting out, I think they're both pretty cool. I wish packages like these were around when I started out. My 1st bass was almost unplayable garbage and my first amp was my dad's stereo (little did he know!).

Anywho, I think the Ibanez has an edge seeing as it has a full scale neck which will make yr switch over to a higher quality axe down the road (if you choose to stick with playing bass) a lot easier. Also the 2 pickups will give you more versitility and likely more clarity than that mud-prone single humbucker to the neck on the Epiphone. The Epi has a wacky vintage vibe that's kinda hip but in terms of fuction, not as effective as the Ibanez.

Bottom line, go to a GC and try them both and see what works for you. For me, its the Ibanez; for you...well, guess you'll have to find out.

Good luck,

r

6. Thanks for all the great advice. I am going to go the local Musicians Friend store in the next three weeks and try both of them out. I have a friend that has been playing since 69 and I may ask him to come along. He is going to teach me how to play and I am so looking forward to it. I have wanted to play for years just never seemed to have the time.

You guys and gals rock!!!

:hyper: :hyper:

7. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    my advice is to bu a slightly "high-end" ibanez. look at the sr 400, or equivalent of the other models. that way, you start off with a great tone, same great playability, and you won't need to upgrade for a long time (or ever, for that matter... if you're me, you love it to death and can't find anything better).

just my 2cents

8. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    thats a sweet deal. it looks pretty good. and would DEFINITELY sound better than say, a cheap-o ibanez or schecter.

9. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I really wish you the best on that one. But I'm sorry to tell ya (and I think you know this already), there is no way in hell yr going to score that G&L at that price or double it or even triple it. But hey, hang in there; you might get kinda lucky, one never knows. However, even if that axe manages to fly under the radar for the next couple days, I still doubt you'll bag it under $500.

r

10. Oh I know that was just looking around there and found it.

11. You could try for a G&L Tribute bass. I've never played on, but I've heard mixed results. Good and Bad. They are to G&L what squire is to fender, but maybe you should keep your eyes open for one and try it out.

12. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I think your idea to ask your teacher to come along with you to help you select your bass is a smart idea. I don't really think I need to explain why.

13. I've played both -- I'd go for the Ibanez. You might also check the Peavey

I've got an SX PJ myslef and love it.

Good luck.