1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New to the Bass...Looking for Amp suggestions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CRFan1, Mar 11, 2009.

1. CRFan1

CRFan1

Mar 9, 2009
    So I am primarily a guitar player but I decided to get a bass(Geddy Lee Sig bass I bought off a member here :)) so I could teach myself something new and I want it for the home when needed during friend jam sessions, etc.

I am new to the Bass and amplifiers etc. and I was wondering what reccomendations you guys may have for a good, solid Combo amp (or non combo) that would do well at home and during jam sessions with the guys.....Let's say a grand or less (preferably much less, LOL)

Suggestions would be welcome!

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Buy a head used from the TB classifieds, and look in to Avatar Speakers.

www.avatarspeakers.com

I love my rig.

3. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    The GK Backline 600 is a good starter head (200 watt 8 ohm, 300 watt 4 ohm) and like Jordasch suggests, you can't go wrong with Avatar. I would steer clear of the GK Backline speakers. I think if you are serious about getting into Bass you should not go the combo route.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    You could get a brand new Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 or Markbass Little Mark II for about $600 brand new and even less used.

Then head to www.avatarspeakers.com and get a cab. If you are trying to keep things portable and not take up too much space, I would get the 2x10 Neo in 8-ohms. Its fairly small and lightweight, but would be capable of sufficient volume with either of the amps mentioned above to carry a small to medium-sized club.

5. CRFan1

CRFan1

Mar 9, 2009
    Ok...very good info! That's what I am looking for....

6. Robert Sands

Robert Sands

Oct 7, 2008
    Markbass 2X10 combo - the 102P if you could afford just a little over a grand. Then you won't be looking to get something better in 6 months. If you added a 15" cab someday you'd have the super rig. I always like to plan ahead - part of the reason why I'm broke, too. lol

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    GK Head