Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Toys - Sonar 3, Delta 44

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by geshel, Oct 27, 2003.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Just got an M-Audio Delta 44 sound card / breakout box, and Cakewalk Sonar 3 Studio.

The hardware install was ultra-smooth, very impressive. Though I was a bit worried because the manual doesn't even mention XP or ME (I have XP, the manual probably hasn't been updated since shortly after the product was introduced in 1999), but they had all the right drivers on the CD.

Though, I'm still not sure why my old sound card's (SoundMAX on-mobo) MIDI audio playback is getting routed to the Delta 44 (Windows software MIDI audio stream is still going to the old card).

Sonar install was very smooth too. Though it didn't want to work with the Delta 44 at first, saying "the drivers are either incompatible with the current audio mode, or are in use by another application". I switched it to ASIO (from WDM), which is better anyway, and it works great now.

Recorded this little ditty to get the hang of MIDI groove loops, multitracking, built-in effects, etc. Haven't tried any interesting cross-fades or anything yet. Took me a couple hours or so maybe to do this. It's MIDI drums and three tracks of bass (another new toy, a Ken Smith BSR-6EG). The bass went through my F-1X / SF-2 setup, mixer, computer. The effects on the chords and the picked line are via Sonar.

The manual is freakin' huge (600+ pages), but so far very good.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Make sure you install the latest drivers from the M-Audio website, the drivers on the CD are old.

http://www.midiman.de/files/de510030.exe (never mind the German link, international driver)
    I have an Audiophile (same drivers) and the WDM drivers work fine with Sonar 3.

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Awesome.

I am running Sonat 2.2 right now and don't really like it. I believe, from what I ahve heard, that I will like 3 when I get it.

Congrats man keep it up.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Interesting. I went with Sonar because of all the good things I'd heard about 2.2. Then, 3 was out, so I figured. . .they couldn't have messed it up that bad could they? I don't really know how it's different than 2.2, but I like it so far.

5. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Yeah editing is a biatch in 2.2. But I heard editting is a slight bit better in 3.0. Also the Bus Architecture has been changed, assigning tracks to busses wasn't so easy. Also there console view is very hard on the eyes.

From the Screenshots of 3.0 I reall like the GUI.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Note: the drum loops are cool but FYI I'm layering two or three at a time here. . . :D

8. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Which version of Sonar 3 did you get?

Producer or Studio?

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Studio. Didn't see much in Producer that I'd really use - except maybe per-track EQ, which kind of surprised me but I'm OK without for now.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Another little ditty, this time with some g**tar :D

http://home.comcast.net/~taylorsherman/frame_funk.mp3

Effects on bass: Sonar (in the opening, it's double-tracked w/ reverb; in the middle "heavy chorus" from the Sonar multi-fx plugin)

Effects on guitar: Roland V-Bass (go figure)

SmartLoops drums.

This time it's the Hanewinckel fretless on the bottom end. I'm loving the sound on the B string in the last section.