Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Trace Eliots are out, anyone tried them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dave_bass5, Dec 2, 2005.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Just tried out a Trace Elliot 715X combo and think its sounds fantastic.
    Ive posted a thread below about replacing my Ashdown MAG and i think ill go for the TE rather than a ABM.
    The TE costs more but looks great and has a compressor built in
    Just wondered if anyone else has tried/brought one.

Dave.

2. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    I played one of the new heads through a 4x10"+1x15" at the Music Player Live! event in New York a bit over a month ago.

They sound very nice; the original engineer (I forgot his name) is still working on the gear. I was glad to hear that Peavey purchased Trace Elliot from Gibson. It is nice to have choices.

3. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    Here is a shot I took of Doug Wimbish checking out the same rig. He used it to do his on stage performance a bit earlier.

[​IMG]

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I like the look of the new gear, getting tired of the Ashdown retro look (although still love the tone).
    I guess ill just be getting a small Combo (1x15) to replace my MAG but need to check if the 250watt 715 is louder than my MAG 300.
    Im sure its not a full 300watt with just the one speaker on the MAG but i cant find any decent specs for the TE.
    allthe websites have the same descriptions but no tec details (or size)
    nice pic by the way, did you take it? any more of Doug?
    Dave.

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    How do you guys compare the new Trace Elliot tonewise to the older SMX range? Similar or totally different?

6. the designer is Paul Stevens.
    I asked him a few things about the differences between the last Trace bass amps and the new ones at the Trace launch yesterday at the Bass Centre (with Doug Wimbish demoing)-

they changed the old round ports on the cabs to slots to bring the height of the cabs down, and no-one used the tuning plugs on the round ports anyway,
    the led signal level indicator is different now-
    I asked as I had problems with the SMX dual compressor pedal's indicator led that seemed to cause a breakthrough crackle when it changed colour.

it seems that the other Trace (and current Ashdown) designer, Clive Button, designed the SMX, the SMC (2 power mosfets on my SMC 300 head burned out a few weeks ago) and various Ashdowns that there have been reliability issues with-
    http://www.clivebutton.com/products.htm

the new Traces are out of my price range though.

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
  8. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    the new products look fantastic. i hope they bring out some tube heads soon

9. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    Clive is back at Trace as of this past February.

nevermind on my comment....Clive Roberts is at Trace...Clive Button is at Ashdown as you said. I just saw Clive and didn't read the Button until my post "cleared"....sorry.

10. that's odd, as Paul Stevens referred to him as "my predecessor", and said "I designed the whole lot".

*edit*, yep, got it.

one thing I forgot to ask was about the jack sockets on the new amps-
    they've brought back the recessed jack sockets-
    the trouble with these is that you need a box spanner or needlenose pliers to tighten the nut-
    they were always loose or missing on Trace SMX amps in rehearsal studios.

on my ironically cheaper SMC the jack sockets protruded from the panel in the usual way- so you could easily tighten the nuts.

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Hmmm... I find this deeply illogical.

Alex

12. Text_Edifice

Text_Edifice

Nov 28, 2005
    I know it's a bit of an ask but can anyone who's head the new gear describe what they 'sound' like?

I'm debating on whether to wait for the new TE gear to hit Australia before investing in a new amp...

Particularly after a vintage jammerson type tone

Text_Edifice

13. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004

14. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    *waiting patiently for some tubage*

16. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Clive Button- Yes, no, yes- Clive Button did the majority of the design for Trace pre-Peavey. Paul has designed all the new stuff.

What exact problems? That I can't answer because there were many different and frequent failures when we owned the company. I can't speak of what happened when Gibson owned the company. I wish I could remember dates but since I can't- major failures started when Trace introduced the SMX series and the tube pre's.

Within a span of one year, Trace approx. doubled their manufacturing facility, started building tube guitar amps (Bonnevilles, Tridents, Vellocettes), PA's, entry level bass combos, V series bass amps etc. I'd say this was mid 90's. Too much, too fast equalled large failure ratios.

17. Hesuses

Hesuses

Jul 21, 2005
    Well, what can I say?

GAS!!

18. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    If they're anything like the older ones, I'm sure they sound fantastic.

And (probably) extremely versatile in terms of tone.

19. my experience with my Trace SMC 300 head (bought new at the start of 2000)- used only with Trace 1048H cab;

2001- DI output cutting out due to dry joint on the board. easy fix with soldering iron.

2004 december- loud hum and distorted output. due to dry joints on smoothing capacitors on power amp board. easy fix with soldering iron.

2005 november- 2 power mosfets burn out and fuses blow. I've taken them out and the circuit board tracks have come loose where the mosfets were soldered in. poor design?- the tracks could be wider here.

is this to be expected for an amp?

this US site has the whole power amp module-
    http://www.britishaudioservice.com/shop_trace_pcbmodule.shtml

and the mosfets BUZ901p and BUZ906p

I've found a local source for the mosfets.

while I decide how to fix it, or whether it's worth fixing, I'm using my old Laney G150H with the Trace cab.

20. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I'm very interested in this as my one and only local shop is a Peavey dealer and thinks he might be able to order the new Trace stuff for me.
    So, am I to assume that this new line is equal in overall quality to the 'historic' Trace line, designed by the same guy and built by hand in England? I'm playing around with the idea of replacing my SWR350 head with the AH500-7. I bought the 350 with the intention of retiring with it(re: long term investment), so if I swap it for the Trace, I want the real deal. I've always wanted a Trace rig and almost bought one ...twice! :meh:
    So, gimme all the gory details folks! :)