1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Tribute L-2000 & L-2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    On my lunch break, I went to a local shop and had a nice surprise: they had new Tributes with flamed maple carved tops! The basses were beautiful. One was a sunburst L-2000 with a gloss finished neck that was as beautiful as any American G&L I have ever seen. The prices were $799 for the L-2500 and $899 for the L-2500. The basses played and sounded great too. The build quality is on par with the older Tributes, but the new tops are really beautiful! Check them out if you can.:bassist:

2. i saw this one on ebay. repeat after me:

WOW!

sm_L2000ArchTop01.

sm_L2000ArchTop08.

3. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Is that real or "fotoflame"?

4. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    A view down at a carve top 2K from NAMM....

IMG_1702.

Ain't my thang for comfort.

Jim

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It looked real to me. These are not cheap basses at all. They are still a step below USA G&L when it comes to hardware, but G&L is even with Music Man, IMO, which is about as good as it gets when it comes to mass produced instruments.

I think Tributes in terms of build quality are even with Skylines, it's just that Skylines come with better tuners (real Hipshots.)

6. are they gonna be lighter? seems thinner at the edges...

sm_L2000ArchTop09.

7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    This stuff is starting to p#$$ me off. I just got a Spector Legend 6 and almost immediately, the Sterlings are available for sale. Now this. Its not like I don't already have two dozen basses.

Man, I gotta get off of the internet.

8. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    It looks nice. The top wood is a pretty darn thin piece of wood, but if you don't bang it around it should be fine. I'd really be digging it with white body binding!

9. Rocket Music (they have a sponsored forum here, has one of the L-2500 and a 2000 in the new walnut stain. I prefer the latter to the "tops".

Mike

10. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i am on a continuing quest for a l2000 tirbute used just lost one on ebay for 400$ with free shipping:(

11. I played a Tribute L2500 Tuesday night. The Traben I bought instead, blew it out of the water.

12. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I was scared the new G&L's were gonna be "degraded" from the old ones.

Nevermind! :D

13. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Come on, man, you can't just say "blew it out of the water" and make us believe. HOW was it different? WHAT was better about it. L2Ks and 2500s are great basses. Let us know WHY the Traben was better. :)

14. southpaw420

southpaw420

Aug 25, 2007
    wow those are really nice looking. bet you wont see any lefties :scowl:

15. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    +1

16. This guy has the carved top on Ebay for $649.

http://tinyurl.com/c6zhf3

He's advertising it as a basswood body. I PMd him to ask if he was sure about that, and he said he was, at first. Then he PMd me back again and said he'd look into it.

It's ash. The guy just doesn't know what he's selling.

And yes, it's a real, 2 piece maple top.

Very nice. Get it before he finds out he's not charging enough for it. :D

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1, They are definitely two piece flame maple tops, and the bodies are most definitely ash. Like I said before, these are some very nice basses for the money.:bassist:

18. The sound was just so much cleaner, and more distinct, plus the baseball bat neck turned me off immediately.

19. Does anybody have any more pics of the carved topped G&Ls? I'm curious. I might be interested in purchasing one.

John