1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Year...new bass or amp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CTC564, Jan 1, 2012.

1. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Happy New Year to all the TB Family!!!

If you had an opportunity to purchase some new gear, would you go for a new amp and cab(s) or a new bass to enhance you "tonal" capabilities?

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Really hard to say without knowing what you currently have.

What do you need more?

3. I think he's asking what WE would do, maybe not for advice on what to do? Me, I'd buy a new bass. I need another one like I need a hole in the head, but I have a great amp (GK MB115) already and I'd rather get another bass. I'm sort of a bass whore..

4. CTC564

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    I currently have a Lakland 55-94 that I run through an Eden Metro 210 combo and an SWR Goliath II 410 cab...

I'm not sure I "need" anything, but I think "downsizing" my rig may be more of a "priority"

OTOH...another bass with a maple fb seems nice...

5. CTC564

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Very well stated :)

6. First off, I would purchase whatever Genz Benz releases at NAMM (due for an announcement soon) assuming I tried it and liked it. That covers amps, and bass wise I would go out and pick up a nice hybrid upright and a pickup + pre for it.

7. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    New Year = I want a new Band.
    After a two year run of playing the same songs show after show, I'm ready for a change.

A-OK on the gear side. ;)

8. Happy new year from Brazil! New bass for sure! The wish list is long. New amp, maybe. I'm happy with my orange 500 bass terror, but I want an all tube!:hyper:

Note: I'm brazilian, but I don't play samba. I'm a rocker and a bluesman. :bassist:

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Me personally? Save up enough money to buy both, then put it into savings and never spend it on gear.

10. CTC564

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Probably the most RESPONSIBLE choice...but it'd be alot easier if I had the gear that you have...;-)

Nice collection

11. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Effects!

12. CTC564

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    LOL...I actually considered that!!!

There are definitely some very interesting pedals on the market today and it could be fun to put together a "dream pedalboard"

13. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    The new bass is will be here soon!!! After that, probably a few new cabs.

14. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Happy New Year everyone! For me this may be the year I buy another bass. I am and have been pretty content with my amp and cab for years. However with all the new stuff coming out and G.A.S always lurking around the corner that could change just like that.

15. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd get a new bass. A jazz bass, assuming I tried one and liked it.

16. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I nned a bass, hopefully I can get one of the new DJ as soon as they are available