Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Year's Eve

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Dec 31, 2005.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If anybody is in the neighborhood tongiht, I'll be playing duo with Harry Whittaker at Arturo's until 2:30 or so in the morning.

2. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I new I should of gone to NY. Never pass up a free night in the Julliard dorms...

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Now THAT sounds like the Fox in the Hen House :)

4. I played every New Year's Eve from the time I was 20 until I was 40. Had some really interesting times (my favorite was an "Artist & Models" party, wherein the guests were supplied with sketch pads and several beautiful nude models. Did I mention the models were nude? And beautiful? Least favorite was a 50-mile ride in a blizzard.)

Now I'm content to stay home with the family and rent movies and stay off the roads.

Hope everyone has safe, enjoyable and profitable NYE gigs. Its the one time of the year when musicians can really GOUGE and get away with it!

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Tonight is the one night I'm paid what I'm actually worth.

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Wow, they pay $75 in Columbus? ;)

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Including tip.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I don't think I've ever gotten a $70 tip before.

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    LOL.

10. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Damn.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Aw, now, I was jest funnin'...

12. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I know... damn.. I wish posted that....

13. Been there, done that.
    Too many years of abandoning my wife. Finally, when I was working with Eddie Hazell, we had an understanding that I would never play on New Year's Eve.
    The hippest jazz club owner ever, Amos Kauhne, owned Gulliver's, hated the New Year's Eve crowd so much he refused to open the club.

14. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It's hip to be a snob!

15. I guess you're joking, but Amos, more than anyone I've known in my life, put his money where his mouth is, giving employment to jazz musicians to the point of bankruptcy of the club. Not once, but time after time.
    He's this kind of guy: Sonny Rollins forgot about his gig, showed up late, and felt so bad for Amos he played one set - 3 hours long.

16. nicklloyd

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It's great yer guy was a good club owner, but I wasn't joking... the whole "damn amateur crowd" attitude is terrible... if he didn't want to be open that night then fine... his club... but if you take a gig on New Year's Eve, be a pro and entertain the peoples that are there to party. So what if they go out twice a year, they are still the reason yer gettin' paid.

17. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Oh man, I pity the drummer on that gig, assuming there was one. After an hour and a half you lose all circulation to your butt cheeks. :eek:

18. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Wouldn't that render your average drummer brain-dead?

19. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Is that the pizza place at 106 W. Houston Street?

20. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Yup. Will be hanging out there tonight.