Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lordigg33, Dec 19, 2004.

1. lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Generic will be playing at Clicks in Tyler TX!!! on January 1! come out... it will rawk! \m/

nicky G
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Clubs are historically dead on January 1, everyone's hung over from being out on Dec.31 for the big New Years Eve bashes.

Best of luck to you, though.
  3. lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    eh, not really worried about that :)
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Makes sense.

Our band - The Mole Patrol - are playing New Year's AND the night of the first. The place where we're playing the second night wanted us for New Year's, but we were booked already at the Wayne Bar and Grill (you've never heard of the Wayne Bar and Grill? --well! They have a hall and everything... It's a $400 gig.).

We'll just have to see how that New Year's Day Eve one goes..

Hey: That reminds me of a question that I've been wondering about. What's the general Etiquette-rules when it comes to mentioning upcoming gigs at a gig? I've seen bands say "don't miss our show at so-and-so's next Friday night...", but isn't that uncool to suggest that the patrons of a club that's paying you DON'T come back there, but go to the competition instead? It dosn't seem right to me - but how about if the next gig is in a different town? ...a whole different county twenty miles away?. It seems to be better to just say "come up to the stage on break to sign-up for our email list" or " pick up a printed itinerary".

5. kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    I know what you mean. Our band is booked New Years Eve and New Years night in a different place. I didn't want to do it. But the bar owner thinks it will be a big night.

It's gonna be rough. We play a longer show on NYE and tend to make a big deal out of it.

on New Year's night we will be tired, sore, hungover and playing to an empty bar.

Oh well, take the money and run. :meh:
  6. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    We always tape all our upcoming gigs at the bottom of the clipboard our mailing list is attached to since those are the folks most likely to come see you again, although who knows if they notice? Also tend to say stuff like "sign up for our mailing list so you can get all the details about our show next Thursday" or whatever. That way maybe they sign up or at least ask you about the show after your set. OR, if you have a merch table, have your "printed itinerary" there.
  7. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Was anyone else asked to do Auld Lang Syne by the establishment? We were.

If so, how abouts does your band cover it?

PS: Sorry if it appears I am hijacking the thread.
  8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ha! I've been practicing all week!

I'm cranking up the distortion, and playing the melody on bass, with the drummer doing a disco beat - like I heard on a Bootsie record. Then I'm going through it again solo in all in schmultsy hammer-on trills; doing the trills too fast, and the melody too slow - all the while mezmerising'em by displaying my irresistable 'bass face'. All three of us will then finish it up with a wild, ecclectic hairband climax ending.

Oh yeah - I've got it all worked out. We'll bring'em to a frenzy. We'll be superstars.

Now I just have to make sure to REMEMBER the bridge for the Meat Puppets 'Bad Love'; I don't know why I screw that thing up constantly.